V3.3.0 firmware / configuration software - for V3 hardware

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I've been following this quite closely as I intend to use a temperature input on the Aux circuitry.

Heres how I've done the internal mods so far:

As I'm using a MAP optioned V3 unit, to get the Vref pin enabled on the Molex for Map switching etc., simply wire link L1. This allows the 5V and 0V for the conditioning circuitry to be picked up across C11 which isn't fitted.

Conditioning circuitry built up onto stripboard:

Fitted into enclosure:

I think I'm going to include an extra connector in the enclosure for the temperature input as I want to retain the existing functionality for user outputs and shift light etc. For testing I'll simply bring a wire through the gap around the Molex terminal.

I got the same timeout error as others seem to be getting when altering the global controller options (for map switching etc.), but it seems to have written it to the flash OK and seems to be there after a few power up cycles.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Finally got round to programming in the temp option in the 'Jolt. It works great.

I added 15, 10,and 5 degrees of advance when cold for the first three bins. I should probably add a couple degrees retard on the hot side to prevent pinging. That will have to come later.

My file is simply an inverse from 255 to 0 since my sensor is a negative coefficient or whatever.

The sensor is in an aircooled cylinder head, which warms up rather quickly, and all it does is keep the revs up enough to prevent stalling when ice cold.

Thanks again, Brent, for the software/firmware mods that let us do these things.

BTW, no timeout on my computer.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Cool, thanks for the update! I'm glad to see people are using this firmware successfully.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Repeated the hardware updates on my other V3 unit, but this time I've sorted an input... a 3.5mm stereo jack plug which will allow me 3 seperate inputs if needed and enough board to do more hardware within the MJLJ case.

Should have this little lot on trial in my Capri in the next few weeks...

Should help with thw poor cold running and occasional difficulty starting when warm with the new "cranking advance" setting.

I think I echo many people in thanking Brent for all his hard work in making things like this possible.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks too for sharing! Nice, tidy work on the input board. :-)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

alfa boxer

aux input

Post by alfa boxer »

capri_turbo
Good job with the aux input. could you make me a list of all the parts required so that i can try and attempt to copy your instalation.did you get the bits and bobs from maplins?cheers lee

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Got all the bits from my "junk" and some old stock at work and followed the schematic above (see page 3 of this thread)... all parts should be available off the shelf at Maplins... not sure quitewhat the jack socket is... just found it knocking about at work and came up with the idea of using it as the input. I think it came from Rapid, but I don't have a part number.

Col

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi capri_turbo - would you have a list of part #'s from Maplins? I've had some inquiries on what parts are needed for the aux input section. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

minicooper

Post by minicooper »

Hi Guys could you just confirm something for me...

im trying this out with a 0-5v sensor, but im a tiny bit confused on the bit that says "omit R6 is using a 0-5v signal" can you tell me which one of these are right?

pretty sure its a but can you confirm?
Attachments
ciruit.jpg
ciruit.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 26042 times

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Go with circuit A. Since your sensor outputs a voltage for the 'Jolt to interpret, you don't need the +5v OR R6 to act as a voltage divider when using a variable resistance sensor like a temp sensor.

minicooper

Post by minicooper »

Thats the thoughts I had, thanks for confirming it. we will give it a go tomorrow :)

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Well, I've fixed the V3 unit I fried with the help of new components from Brent.

I flashed latest firmware and latest configurator.
I had previously set up a calibration for the water temperature sensor I'm using and saved it as a *.txt file using the 'save' button in the configurator.

I thought I should upload it now that everything seems to work. But, after hitting 'load calibration', and choosing the txt file I want, after pressing ok nothing happens. The same values remains.

Should there be any more prefixes or suffixes in the filename for the configurator to recognize it ?
It is simply called 'Zagato vannsensor2.txt'
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !

roull

Post by roull »

Hi,

I would be interested to upgrade to version 3.3 in order to take use of the sensor offset adjustment.
I am not interested so much in an aux-feature, so I don't need to perform the HW change, right?
In terms of reliability, is this 3.3 beta version already as reliable as vers. 3.2?
Will version 3.3 be released?

Kind regards
Patrick

minicooper

Post by minicooper »

just letting you know Ive manage to get the aux input oon a v3 board working on a couple a-series classic mini's using the info from this post.

first was my own 1380 heavily cammed motor. fitted with my own designed hard cut limiter and aux input from a small potentiometer fitted to the dash (I dont have an available spot for a temp sensor atm)

secondly was a mates turbo motor, where we used his wideband guage's 0-5v output and fed that into the aux input, to allow data logging functionality.

both work perfectly well we even managed to fit both the hardcut and the aux input to a single piece of veroboard that slides inside the existing v3 box.

cheers all for the information!

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

The 3.3 Beta works every bit as well as 3.2. I have had no problems with it at all, and the added features are great, especially the cranking advance setting and the trigger wheel offset. The temp compensation is cool too, but I would definitely upgrade the firmware for just the first two.