Ubuntu, Xubuntu (linux)

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

dave9469

Ubuntu, Xubuntu (linux)

Post by dave9469 »

Hi Brent,

I've search the forum for topics on this subject and found a few mentioned, I've taken one of your replies.

Would it be possible for you to complile the configurate (v3.3.0 & 3.2.1) so everybody with linux will be able to use their OS of choice?

cheers, Dave

brentp wrote: The software is written using a framework that can easily cross compile to LInux, OSX and windows. So in theory, it should be easy, although I haven't tried it yet. I'm set up to cross compile in Linux, but not Mac. I'll put it on my list. :)

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I've tried it using Wine under Ubuntu (actually Xubuntu) - the app runs, but I haven't tried connecting to my MJ yet.

I suspect that getting to the serial port will be the hard bit...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The serial port is the hard bit- I've been researching how to debug the serial port under wine. you do have to put a symbolic link under .wine/dosdevices, but in my case that did not work.

I'm using a framework (wxWidgets) which promises easy cross compiling across different platforms - windows, Linux and Mac- I may give it a try.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

Hi Brent

Thanks for looking at this. I do think linux compiled code will be better than using WINE because of potential error/problems using an emulator.

If it helps, don't know if it will, is there any information you could use from megatunix http://megatunix.sourceforge.net/? This is the linux tuning software for the megasquirt. It's written in C so I don't know if it will help. There is full annotated source code on the site.

Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

I'm aware of Megatunix- there's nothing there that would be helpful.

As I was alluding before, the framework I'm using is supposed to 'cleanly' cross-compile straight to a native linux app- with hopefully no code changes- just changes to the makefile. Personally, I'm become more interested in this since I've been converting more of our computers over to Linux.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter