The downloads

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mini1293

The downloads

Post by Mini1293 »

Iv downloaded the Megajolt Lite Jr. Configurator v4.0.0 and the mjlJunior_firmware_V4.0.2..

The Configurator opens fine, but i cant opne the firmware... what is this and what does it do, sorry... i dont do computers :(

cheers

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

If all fails, RTFM - Read The Manual! ;)

The firmware goes into the chip in the MJ unit - if you bought a ready-made unit or a kit, then you needn't bother as it will be installed already. If Brent issues an upgrade then the new firmware can be installed by following the instructions on this website ("How To" at the top of this page).

Have fun!

David

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

it was brought as a kit and someone i know built it for me...

Iv read through the how to sections but i dont understand some of it :(

How/when do i know to 'install?' the firmware, and how... iv downloaded both downloads to my desktop and am now un-sure.

thanks for your help.

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

The firmware is inside the processor inside the MJLJ - you only need to download it to your PC if you then want to move it to inside the processor inside the MJLJ.

If you had a MJLJ kit, then the firmware is already inside the processor, but it could be 4.0.0, 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 depending how old it is.

The latest versions of the Configurator and firmware are 4.0.2.

I would recommend downloading the V4.0.2 Configurator from http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Downloads and installing it on your PC. Then connect your MJLJ to the PC and go to Help|About on the menu. It will tell you the version of firmware inside the processor inside the MJLJ.

If it is 4.0.2 then you're good to go. If it's older, then you're recommended to update it to 4.0.2. Read the instructions at http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_Firmware_update .. if you can't understand a word of them, come back here with some questions - otherwise, just update the firmware and you're good to go...

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Ok, once i get my comms cable i will get it connected and see whats in it.

I have read through them instructions, but dont understand, especially when it talks about... 'the same directory where the new firmware'... and... Open a command window (Click Start / Run, and enter 'cmd') and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the new files'... completly throws me :(

... Sorry :(

cheers

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

To be completely honest, it looks like you would probably be better off with some assistance from someone you know with medium-level computer skills that can sit with you and work through these sort of things - it could be rather tortuous explaining it all line by line through the forum.

It's not too difficult, but there is a certain amount of computer skills assumed...but we're all here and keen to help, so if you have any specific questions, just shout!

Idea...someone could run a desktop recording session (even with an audo track maybe) showing a firmware update from start (d/loading the firmware from the web site) to finish (having an updated MJLJ) and put it on this site somewhere. An XP version and a Vista version I suppose, as well. Any media/creative types on her interested intaking on the challenge??? I'm happy to help storyboard/review it but don't have any recording technology...
...I suppose a cheap'n'nasty way (or initial attempt) is a YouTube web/phone cam view of someone doing it...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A video tutorial would be a great idea. It would also be a good idea to integrate the firmware upgrade facility right into the configuration software as well.

Mini1293- as Martin suggested - click "help/about" in the config software menu with the MJLJ connected- what firmware version does it report?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter