Why am I having to muck about with old pc's!!

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jamin

Why am I having to muck about with old pc's!!

Post by jamin »

Hi, yes i am new on this site but not new to retro fitting ecu's to my cars.

Can someone tell me why...

we install a nice mapable ecu/ignition system to rid our old distributor/points etc.

Only to have to dig out our old crappy pc's (if were lucky to have one as most are now replaced as technology progresses) to plug into the ecu unit to download our maps and tune etc. Talk about going backwards!! :roll:

I am having a right mare at the mo as I have thrown my old pc and laptops away.

So why has the MJLJ v4 not progressed in the same manner as our pc's.
Rant over :)

Oh, congratulations on an excellent site. And sorry if ive posted this incorrectly. :?
So whats the answer?? I spose I have to buy an adaptor cable? Can anyone suggests one that actually works, instead of the mass of rubbish on ebay!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We're migrating towards a processor that natively offers a USB port- that's the good news. Trust me, nobody hates having to use plain-old RS232 serial & USB-Serial adapters more than I :)

Having said that, there's some information here on how to select a proper usb-serial adapter:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/USB-serial_adapters
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bossie

Post by bossie »

It might be getting interesting when the software is ported to Android for example. In that case you will be able to use one of the new announced tablets: http://www.guru3d.com/news/point-of-vie ... a-tablets/

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That is quite yummy - I'm pretty warm to the android platform :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Jamin, in the meantime, if you have a Radio Shack nearby, get your USB-serial adapter there. I got mine there, and although pricy($40 US dollars) it worked easy right out of the box on a Gateway laptop. Good luck.