Megajolt LCD display

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tadhg

Post by Tadhg »

That all sounds pretty cool Spockie. I've got a Mini (Aussie delivered, so definitely pre-96/OBD/OBD II - didn't notice I hadn't listed my location before) with a kit half installed (trigger wheel and hall effect sensor installed, no electrics installed/connected yet - car's' still running a dissy), and a dash that's been in the build process for nigh on two years. It's been on the road that whole time, of course. So if I could get tacho/temp off the MJ, it'd be extra motivation to install it.

That said, all my mobile devices are iOS based. No problem with Andriod, happy to concede it's a great system. Still looking forward to see what you're producing.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Keep up the great work! would love to compare notes with what you learned with the ELM chip.

We are going to integrate CAN with RaceCapture/Pro and RaceCapture/Track - this will capture all 2006+ vehicles with one chip/protocol- this will be a good start.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Just found this thread and realised just how old it is. I have completed a project based on the nixi tube Arduino project and have it up and running off my V3 jolt...

The 9 pin serial port had previously been modified to have the TTL level lines output on pins 7 and 8 and 5V on pin 1 for a bluetooth module that worked quite well...

This powers the arduino and display quite happily.. photo shows it attached to a V3 jolt on the bench hence 0 RPM

I have included an image of the display layout which shows the word "fan" after the temp to show that the fan is running (run off user out 1 hence U/Out 1 being listed too).

The other U/out's show their number instead of the _ when they are "on"
Attachments
display-mounted.jpg
display-mounted.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 31273 times
TTL and power out at d type... must now only use a 3 wire cable (Rx Tx Gnd) for RS232 to a PC etc...
TTL and power out at d type... must now only use a 3 wire cable (Rx Tx Gnd) for RS232 to a PC etc...
Power-TTL-Mods.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 31274 times
Talking to and relaying data from the jolt
Talking to and relaying data from the jolt
display_working_212.jpg (106.7 KiB) Viewed 31274 times

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

And the display layout image
Attachments
Display layout showing everything "on"... U/outs go to _ when they're off and "fan" disappears when it's off (U/out 1)
Display layout showing everything "on"... U/outs go to _ when they're off and "fan" disappears when it's off (U/out 1)
display-layout.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 31272 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Super awesome!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

capri_turbo

Re: Megajolt LCD display

Post by capri_turbo »

Thanks Brent, i'm more than happy to share this project and source code on here.

Not used the Capri on the road this year, but running it to warm on the driveway is showing that the display is working very well.

capri_turbo

Re: Megajolt LCD display

Post by capri_turbo »

Can't believe that a year has passed since I built this:
Display.png
Display.png (252.82 KiB) Viewed 29518 times
Just built an arduino based crank simulator which seems to work quite well... only does 5 fixed points for RPM, but that's enough to bench test the display for now.

Working on an LED display now with an off the shelf display board from Mottram Labs in the UK... it gives a 4 digit readout of RPM with a bargraph too. Just about got it all working and now getting the code written up to use the 4 individual LED's above the 7 segmnets to display the user out status... should have that working tonight.
PIX191001.jpg
PIX191001.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 29518 times
Getting ideas of a full digital dash now... although my wife thinks it's a little too "Knight Rider"... well, it is a 1980's car so why not...