Configurable Input AND Output System

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Funky Diver

Configurable Input AND Output System

Post by Funky Diver »

OK, so a bit of a wordy title...

However, in my quest for knowledge regarding the use of hall sensors, I found lots of info regarding using hall sensors with MegaSquirt.

The principle's the same... a known event happening at a specific time.

I'm not overly sure what other technologies are used to fire timing, so obviously the inclusion of
  • VR sensor
    Hall Sensor
Would get my vote.

The addition of hall sensor would mean that at least some OEM applications could be catered for, ie hall sensor in dizzy, on cam shaft (VW do both types not sure on other manufacturers)

Same with output to coil packs... allowing folks to use a greater choice of output mechanisms to fire the ignition.

I'd guess that most of it would be software based rather than hardware for both elements... but it's something to think about I suppose :D

If I'm talking a load of tsoh, feel free to say so :twisted:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I'd put Hall sensors in the same category of optical sensors (some distributor mods come that way). In either case, input is simplified compared to a VR sensor.

The RevA Megajolt/C design is currently designed to work exclusively with VR sensors (dual sensor: crank/camshaft). One of the aux inputs may be used to handle a Hall effect sensor / optical sensor.

Megajolt/C has no on-board ignition drivers, so an external box (like described in our latest blog post) , external driver modules, and coil packs with internal drivers would all work.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

HOW did I miss the blog update..

That is SPANKYTASTIC!!!

Delete my thread if you like Brent, The MJ Rev C blog post is my new home page :lol: