Megajolt Android tuning app

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jestes

Post by jestes »

It sounds like the response from one of the initial commands we send, get version or get global configuration is smaller in the V3 controller? The code is written to wait until the entire response comes back. If the V3 protocol has a smaller response than the V4 protocol for the same command, the app could behave just like what you are describing.

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Quite relieved to hear you say it might be a slightly different protocol.

What do you think of the way I've fitted the module? Decided it wouldn't work in the case as it would be a Farraday Cage being all metal...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

it's pretty good. wonder about the vibration durability, but I always (I have to) think of designing for race cars with solid engine mounts.

Yes, from distant memory, I believe the V4 controller sends more data to support the additional features.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jestes

Post by jestes »

I have mine inside the case and it does work, but the range is very short. I'm going to try making some plastic end caps to see if that helps.

capri_turbo - Do you know anything about Android development? I can make you a contributor on the project if you would like to work on fixing the issue. I don't have any V3 hardware, so there is little chance that I will get it fixed.

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Sadly I know nothing about Android development. I build circuit boards for a living but don't know anything about software. I am willing to learn though.

As for vibration, we use these terminals at work in environmental noise monitoring equipment and they seem quite robust, but time will tell I guess.

Col

jestes

Post by jestes »

I'm working on getting the V3 protocol from Brent. If I can get it, I'll see what I can do flying blind. If I can get it to a point where I think it will work, I'll send you a build to try. I'm getting my car ready to go to a show this weekend though, so I won't be able to touch it until next week.

jestes

Post by jestes »

Several commands have changed length. It will take some work to get it fixed, but I'll give it a shot. With no hardware on hand, it may take some trial and error though.

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Absolutely no rush whatsoever. My car is off the road until next year now and the old v3 works brilliantly and the laptop works great for tuning too. The android BT app would be nice but is by no means essential. Glad we've found this now before v3 peeps start trying it in volume.
Good luck with it.

Col

sim_ou_nao

Post by sim_ou_nao »

jestes, thank you for the sharing :)
Pedro Silva

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Trying to get the BT module up and running on my brand new MegaJolt/E. I wired it exactly as pictured and I get the flashing light when I power up the MJ. I am able to pair with it with my laptop (as far as I can tell, it seems to be there). At one point it prompted for a code and I tried 1234.

I am trying to use the Windows software for now, haven't gotten to the Android yet. I am unable to get a connection in the MJ software...I changed the Com to 3, which is what the BT module is on. Any ideas on what I am missing?

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

tightwad wrote:Trying to get the BT module up and running on my brand new MegaJolt/E. I wired it exactly as pictured and I get the flashing light when I power up the MJ. I am able to pair with it with my laptop (as far as I can tell, it seems to be there). At one point it prompted for a code and I tried 1234.

I am trying to use the Windows software for now, haven't gotten to the Android yet. I am unable to get a connection in the MJ software...I changed the Com to 3, which is what the BT module is on. Any ideas on what I am missing?
Some progress made but still not all the way. After removing and reinstalling the bluetooth device from the computer I now get a Runtime error in the Autosports Windows App. I get an "element not found" error using the PC Jolt software.

The Runtime error comes as soon as I connect the Transmit wire. The red light goes solid and then the error kicks in and the program shuts down. I tried reversing the transmit and receive lines but then nothing happens at all.

I tried to install the Android APK but I get an error that "There is a problem parsing the package".

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Has anyone managed to sort the app for the V3 comms yet?

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

i like to try this nice extra also, so i ordered the bluetooth module.

once it is here:
- i got a TPS setup, wil BT hardware installation be the same ?
- is it possible to have both BT and serial setup next to each other (using one at the time ?)
- have a mid engine car and MJ is located in the trunk, firewall's are steel, so signal would be low
is it possible to take a longer wire between MJ and BT so i be able to locate BT in the drivers compartiment ?

thanks

Richard

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I'm trying to understand the Controller API for the V.3 unit. I have a Galaxy S II phone running Android 4 and want to send the commands such as 'V' to return the Version from the MJLJ via my Bluetooth module.

I can connect using various 'Terminal' apps but nothing returns any data when I send these commands. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a terminal app that would work.

All I'm looking to at this time is have an app that can display the real time RPM, MAP value and Advance.

I know absolutely nothing about programming and thought this would be an easy start, but I'm completely confused.

Can anyone offer any form of advice?

Also, Brent, earlier you stated the baud for the V3 at 9600, but the API says 4800... which is correct as I can't get my pc talking over BT either... the configurator says 'could not open port'

Giving up completely on this now as I don't think I'll ever get it working.

:?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The V3 controller is 4800 baud when communicating, but 9600 baud when programming firmware.

This should help for the V3 controller - this is linked from the downloads section of the wiki.
http://www.autosportlabs.net/asl_dist/m ... cation.pdf
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter