Megajolt Android tuning app

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Megajolt Android tuning app

Post by brentp »

As you may know, I'm feverishly ('cause I'm excited) working on a tuning app for the android platform, intended for communication via bluetooth. I'm excited because I think it will be very cool and useful - so many ideas are swimming around my head.

I've ported some of the gauge widgets from the desktop version (C++ to Java) on top of some fresh designs appropriate for android platform. It will be familiar but remixed to work well in a handheld form-factor.

I'll post screenshots when there's something cohesive!

Aside from the app development work, I'm exploring the best way to get the current Megajolt units working with an external Bluetooth dongle. The Bluetooth module requires power, and unfortunately, the V3 and V4 Megajolts don't pass +5V out the serial connector. This can be easily fixed with a hardware revision- or support a plug-in module like what we're doing with Megajolt/C and other new projects, but that leaves the huge number of existing users without an option.

Currently it seems the best option is a battery powered dongle. Roving Networks has their RN-41 based Firefly battery powered dongle, but it's a bit expensive and may not work without some custom cabling (it expects the device to provide RTS/CTS on the serial line, which the Megajolt doesn't provide). Therefore I'm looking at a custom, minimalist, battery-powered dongle.

Thoughts? Would you be interested in an Android logging app? Let me know what you think!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

luxseven

waiting for this

Post by luxseven »

Hi Brent,

Using a Samsung Galaxy Tab I really look forward to this dev.
For me it could also be cable-based with the USB to the proprietary Samsung connector. The Galaxy's screen is great and has an ideal size to display almost as much information as with the usual Windows desktop GUI. If it has to be a dongle, it would be ideal to implement one which can be used with other gear, so even if it costs, the fact that you can use it else might help to overcome the invest.
Keep us Android users posted for this one.
Cheers.

Jos
If all else fails, consult the manual.
My blog: http://jacob-jos.blogspot.com/

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks Jos for the feedback. We will keep everyone updated!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mini_mad69

Post by mini_mad69 »

Very limited electrical knowledge here. But if the bluetooth unit has to be powered, could you power it off a cigarette lighter?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Here's a snapshot of what the runtime screen looks like. I'm still refining colors and layout but you can get a feel for what to expect.

A finger swipe will switch between this runtime view, the ignition map, 3D tuning, and datalogging.
Attachments
MegajoltE_tuner_runtime_preview1.png
MegajoltE_tuner_runtime_preview1.png (129.72 KiB) Viewed 371087 times

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Could I make a suggestion please... and it's excellent to see... but the sticky out bit on the needle is obscuring the numerals somewhat. Will there be an element of customisation available to choose a different needle set?

ps - I haven't got my Android tablet yet... waiting as long as it take to get one for buttons, you know how it is with new tech and prices and I'm a tight northerner when I want to be ;)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Rich. I agree it would be best to not obscure the value. Either shrink the tail on the needle and/or move the value to a different place- all part of the refinement process. The degree of UI customization will be explored more deeply when I have something more.. ah- functional :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

This is the reason I got a Samsung Galaxy :D.
Keep up the good work Brent, I can't wait for this to hit the 'shelves'. Even if I've got to update my V4, I'll be implementing this :D.

VERY EXCITED!

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

It should be relatively easy for us Megajolters to add a wire from the 5v tap on the TPS power over to the serial connector on a V3. Or am I missing something? Looking at the schematic, we can cut the trace going to pin 9 of the DB9 and put 5V to it, easy peasy!

This one has a 5V in port:

http://www.gridconnect.com/blueport.htm ... odal=false

This one looks like it will work also:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDoQ8wIwAA#

BTW, nice work Brent!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The IO gear unit (2nd link) looks especially promising. Need to validate the voltage requirements.

Thank you for digging up these adapters!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

No problem. Even though Google mines all your search data, it is all I use, it does work well!

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Does anyone currently use this (what DannyP had linked earlier) for their windows based interface?Image

And if so what's the verdict?
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I'm looking into whether or not it would be possible to use an old bluetooth module from a dead laptop... got one on order from good old ebay... should be able to do something with it. Currently thinking it could mount in a small plastic project box and include a 9 pin serial port to connect to the 'Jolt. It would of course need it's own power source, but that isn't hard to fathom. It may well need the RS232 signals to be converted to TTL levels, but again that should be easy to implement on a small PCB within the same enclosure.

I have been experimenting recently with home brew PCB's using the "toner transfer" method... been quite successful so far so hopefully could work in this application too.

Anybody got any ideas?

When the unit arrives, I'll look into the power requirements and signal requirements and report back... This could work out to be a relatively cheap DIY solution to the expensive dongles available... Time will tell on this one.

Col

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Laptop module probably won't be suitable.

Looking to purchase one of the proper units that say they'll convert any rs232 device to bluetooth. How likely is this tuning app will happen? Don't really want to buy the hardware if the app doesn't happen.

Looking round, I can get an adaptor for about £35. Not entirely sure it'll work with the jolt as most mention RTS and CTS which the Jolt doesn't support.

Col

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A couple of options for RTS/CTS - it may be possible to disable flow control in the IO Gear module- need to double-check their manual, and/or contact their tech support. At worst, we should be able to loop back RTS/CTS for the module that cares about it.

We're also designing a dedicated dongle using the Roving Networks RN-41 module.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter