Megajolt Android tuning app

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Looks interesting. Really want to see this happen.

The bluetooth adaptor I got from a Laptop is a broadcom bcm924nmd. It seems it's more of a USB interface jusdging by what I can find on pinouts... need to try it still, but not very hopeful.

Keep up the great work Brent.

Col

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Who would be able to try it out if I post an .apk file? While it's a static display it would give you an idea on the look/feel.

Last night I was incorporating a charting library for the datalogging view, but it may not work for our purposes. I may need to port the datalogging view from the windows app, much like I ported the LCD display widget.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Here's an .apk to try out. Pay particular attention to the Ignition Map editor- try selecting and 'long-clicking' cells. Also explore the menu on the Ignition Map screen. The runtime screen is just static at this time,and the datalogging screen- just ignore it for the most part :)

Swipe across the screen to switch views. Swipe near the bottom or top where the UI widgets aren't present, I'm working to make the whole screen swipe-able, if possible. Not sure if it's possible as the individual screens need to process touch events to do their own things.

The 3D tuning view will be ported from the windows app- the look will be similar, but with a slightly different editing metaphor.

Let me know what you think!
Attachments
MegajoltETuner.zip
(159.9 KiB) Downloaded 1263 times

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

I like the two-finger zoom function on the datalog page, very cool. The tuning page is pretty easy to work with, very intuitive. Select, long press, adjust, done. I did notice that if I was on the tuning page, and I switched the orientation of the phone, it would return to the gauge/realtime viewing page.

Will the app interpret what is in the ECU and configure itself (TPS vs. MAP), or do we simply rescale on our own?

I don't care if I have to buy a new MJLJ to use this, I LOVE it! Good work Brent! This is heavenly! :D

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks! Actually, that charting library isn't working out as well as I'd hope- the library doesn't support multiple scales on the same chart (0-10000RPM, 0-255KPA, 0-59 degrees ignition advance, etc. ), plus there's no way to identify an exact value on a particular spot on the chart.

So- I'm in the process of porting over the datalogging view from the windows software app- it will behave much in the same way as you've seen. I hope to get the pinch-zoom working as well.

Here's another preview, with the beginnings of this new chart plus simulated data updates - primarily to exercise the widget animations.

The Megajolt unit firmware itself does not actually know if it's a MAP or TPS unit, so you'll have to select that mode in the app settings. In retrospect it would be nice to have the firmware know the mode. Thanks-
Attachments
MegajoltETuner_2.zip
(164.99 KiB) Downloaded 1225 times

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Ah ok, gotcha. I'm too excited, I keep forgetting this is all beta testing stuff, lol. I couldn't find the app settings in the menus, so I assumed it would just interpret it automatically.
The mid-screen swiping is working now I noticed, very cool :D.

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

Ive had a play on my Galaxy-S. looks pretty good..

A few issues In portrait screen mode, (I typically keep my phone locked into portrait mode most of the time, unless I need the wide-screen for something, I hate it auto switching if I dont hold it right)..

If I set the orientation of the phone to "auto", then the app correctly switches to landscape mode when starting, but it doesnt override the portrait-mode lock - which other apps (browser, games) seem to be able to do.

In portrait, The ignition-map editor screen wraps the last digit on the X-axis and the Y-Axis (for values over 99), which messes up the formatting a bit. Not a big problem, it works fine in Landscape mode..

you could probably fix it by reducing the font size on the axis, or feel free to just say "its designed to work in landscape mode" only - or force landscape mode ;)

swiping from screen to screen seems a little sluggish compared to most aps, giving it a slightly clunky feel, although again, it seems smooth in landscape view.

The ouput leds on tha gauge screen do not update when in portrait mode.

I couldnt find any zoom function mentioned by broke4speed, and in the graph/datalog view about 10% of the triangle waves are cut-off at the bottom edge of the screen.. looks like its not scaling or resizing correctly or something. the tops of the waves are fine. occurs in both portrait and landscape mode

The tuning screen mid-screen swipe to change screens only seems to work occasionally.. swiping outside the data cell area (on the title bar always works). If this cant be fixed (due to the need to process button events for cells), perhaps change the title bar or some indication that swiping needs to be done in a particular area, since it makes the app feel like its "gotten stuck" on the tuning screen.

Could a single long-press both select a cell *and* bring up the edit dialog, or does the current method (having to click-select and then click again to edit) need to happen that way for some reason ?

Occasionally, when selecting a cell on the tuning screen, then long pressing it to edit it, adjusting the value and clicking ok, would return to the tuning screen, *without* making the change and the selected cell is de-selected. I couldnt determine exactly what made this happen.

Would it be difficult to allow for custom user-created skins for the gauge display ?
How about Redlines/Alert ranges that makie the gauges flash red when exceeded and perhaps a peak-hold for the them ? (tach particularly)

I had 1 "force close" while adjusting values on the tuning screen.. I can send you the log file if you want.

Sorry that most of the comments are picky visual/useability focussed, but thats all there is to comment on at the moment. :)

Overall, looks like a good start !

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Here's an update that mostly focuses on the data log screen. Be sure to touch the screen to show current values. You'll be able to turn the scales on and off.

Orientation has been set to landscape. Analog gauge updates have been smoothed out.

I'm thinking I am close to hooking it up to real data. exciting!
Attachments
MegajoltETuner.zip
(169.79 KiB) Downloaded 1215 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Interesting tidbit:
http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/04/ ... 86-Tablets

I haven't dug in on the article, but I wonder if it will be general purpose enough to run on any x86 computer (ideally with a touch screen, of course)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

I cant see why not, given that Android is Linux based.

Ive had a brief tinker with the Android Virtual Machine from here
http://www.android-x86.org/
and found it all works pretty well.

I might try installing your Tuning app on the VM and see how it goes. :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Definitely do that and let us know! Would be cool to see.

Close to another tuning app update. Also close to activating the bluetooth link!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Here are a couple of screen shots of the droid app on my phone:

The latest preview release has the gauges continuously going through their full range(s) both forwards and backwards where as the release prior didn't.

I plan on finally picking up a car dock for my fascinate here soon.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

That looks VERY nice. Good work!

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

any more news on this? My android phone arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to the 'Jolt tuning on it instead of the bulky laptop.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Here's an update- It's a minor update from the last version. Datalogging view 90% built up- an almost direct port from the windows application.

Next up is the bluetooth connection, then circling back to do global engine configuration and advance correction view, and other minor things.

Let me know what you think!
Attachments
MegajoltETuner.zip
(188.65 KiB) Downloaded 1249 times