Bluetooth Connectivity

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

I know that on Windows 7 you have to rename com 40 to com 1; repeat for com 39, etc. leaving the last one as com 1. Use the "port settings > advanced tab in device manager. This will probably work on Windows XP, but the labels MAY be different.

I did a Google search for "remove unused com ports in windows 7" and found it. The same search for XP ought to work.
...Bob

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

I found similar articles for XP. Potential problem is that COM40 was created when contact was made with the BT device. The next highest COM is 20. But I will give it a go and see how it behaves.

Alex

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Just do it for com 40 and then go to the next lower unwanted com port and repeat until all you have left are the ports that you want to remain configured (including com 1).
...Bob

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

No luck to be reported; looks as if the BT module snuffed it, even the read power LED won't light up anymore :evil: . I saw another type of BT module on Ebay that had a COM-port type connector, maybe I'll try it when I am finished with Jolting up the other hobby car.

Alex

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Yes, I saw that BT adapter too and bought one. It works just like the other one -- that is to say, it doesn't work. Not the adapter's fault, I think.

On a related topic, I have installed the MJLJ configurator software on my new Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet (8" screen -- pretty good for use in a windshield mount in the car) running Windows 8.1 and everything works (as long as I use wires and not BT). This makes me want to get BT working even more. I think I shall start a new thread and hope it will attract attention from someone who knows how to do this.
...Bob

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Have you had any luck with your bluetooth connection? I continue to have the same problems with mine.

Version 4.0.2 of the software
Red MegaJolt/E board assembled by MegaJolt (Rev F)
Hard Rev Limiter wired in by me

When I connect the BT I get the Runtime error. I have two difference JY-MCU BT modules, both behave the same way. I have verified that the wiring matches the picture posted previously.

I had to bypass the RJ11 jack as it has never worked as it was supposed to...the only way I can connect serially is by tapping into pins 13 and 14 on the board.

This unit is going into a waterproof case on a watercraft...I really don't want to expose any connections to moisture or have to do surgery to change the timing curve. Unfortunately there appears to be little support available for what could be an awesome unit. I have two other watercraft I could install on and tons of people waiting for me to have success before they join me!

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

There is some more info on this thread: http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... 0971#20971
I think we are getting close. Most of the BT boards that are out there are defaulted to 9600 baud but it seems that the MJLJ board wants 38,400 baud. Just trying to get a decent way of configuring my BT board now.
...Bob

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

bobclevenger wrote:There is some more info on this thread: http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... 0971#20971
I think we are getting close. Most of the BT boards that are out there are defaulted to 9600 baud but it seems that the MJLJ board wants 38,400 baud. Just trying to get a decent way of configuring my BT board now.
I am able to adjust the baud rate on my BT to 38400 via the Com7 or Com5 port (depending on which of my two modules I am trying with).

I am wondering if some of the problem may be a firmware difference within the BT module that changes what can be done? I am as far from a BT expert as one can be, but this sheds some light possibly:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/06/19/usin ... th-module/

Possible problem #1:
My BT is the HC-06, which can only operate in Slave mode. I wonder if something in this aspect is creating the Runtime error warning...when the error is being generated the red led on the BT module is solid..as if a connection is established.

Possible problem #2:
On my computer I don't get the Com port listed on the "services" tab...possibly that is the issue? The port used for the SPP service is the one we need, as far as I can discern.

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Tried again last night. I had odd results when attempting to test the connection using Termite 2.9. According to the link above, I should get an "OK" back when sending an "AT". Instead I get

Code: Select all

[18][18]œœ[18][18]œœ99½½99½½[18][18]œœ[18][18]œœ99½½99½
I tried multiple installs of the BT modules. If i don't declare a pairing code up front, the first time I repower the MegaJolt the computer asks for the code, at which point the Configurator software throws the Runtime error. If I declare the pairing code on setup the Configurator just can't connect.

Since my RJ11 jack doesn't have a connection to the RX/TX pins on the chip, I have limited options for programming my timing curve into the unit.

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

More updates...

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/03/30/gett ... ard-v1-06/

that link sheds some light on the possible issues with the BT board not being correct for the application, as well as a hardware mod to adjust the board to work. I haven't yet tried it (but I will).

I have two BT boards...the one that comes up as MC-06 on my BT setup is version 1.06 and one that says V1.4 on it and comes up as linvor on the BT setup.

The MC-06 gives the odd response shown previously when powered by the MJ but when powered separately by 5v it gives no response.

The linvor gives the odd response shown previously when powered by the MJ but returns "AT" when "AT" is sent when powered by 5v separately.

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Odd stuff there, Tightwad.

I found a lot of info on these BT modules at http://wiki.pinguino.cc/index.php/SPP_Bluetooth_Modules

Maybe some of it can help.
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This module will allow you to configure the 38400 baud rate needed for Megajolt communications.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 240-DS.pdf
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Brent -- I thought you said that the BT module had to be programmed from the wired side. Doesn't that unit just give your RS-232/RS-422 port a BT connection?
...Bob

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

bobclevenger wrote:Brent -- I thought you said that the BT module had to be programmed from the wired side. Doesn't that unit just give your RS-232/RS-422 port a BT connection?
I asked the same question and he told me this is to give a serial device (like the MJ) a BT conenction...similar to what we are trying with the onboard BT addition.

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

OK. That makes sense if the MJLJ unit has a DB9 style connector -- which most people would assume. It should work as an external device connected to the RJ-11 to DB9 cable. I may try this kind of a kludge if there isn't another place on the board to pick up the TTL level RXD and TXD signals. Yeah, I have abused my poor board.
...Bob