Configurator software: port to other OS?

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you can plug a USB to serial converter into that tablet via USB that will likely bypass the issues you're having- which should work fine if you're semi-permanently installing the tablet or not. Unsure of the nature of your bluetooth challenges, we know that some people have used it that way successfully.

The software for the next generation Megajolt system will use the same technology as the RaceCapture system, where it will be mobile oriented first.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Brent, I have tried using the plug-in serial-to-USB adapter that worked before I got the BT link working. I have tried it over and over. No communication.

I have no intention of permanently installing any computer in my 1973 Jensen SP. I just mounted the tablet on a windshield mount and allowed the BT to connect (or used the serial-to-USB cable before I got the BT working) and used it to monitor my ignition operation and make changes from time-to-time. I would occasionally use the log function. That's it. No major operations at all.

I had everything working (barring the known failure to upload via BT) with a Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet running Windows 8.1. The Lenovo has a known problem with not responding to the touchscreen without warning. It seems to be a driver problem that Lenovo wants to sweep under the rug. For this reason I bought a new tablet. See next paragraph.

I changed tablets to a smaller one (the Toshiba 7" Encore Mini) also running Windows 8.1 and nothing works.
The mjfjconfig.exe program will install and run as long as the port setting is left at COM1. Change it to any other port and it refuses to connect and also refuses to shut down. If I shut down the program using Windows Task Manager it only shows the splash screen upon the next (and subsequent) startup(s). Double-tapping the splash screen will get me a button which will end the program. This happens whether the port is changed to the port that Device Manager reports for the serial-to-USB adapter or to the port it shows for the BT connection. It happens whether that port is connected to anything or not.

It's the same OS. It ought to work. The only difference is the hardware. Oh, yeah, it pairs to the BT module in the Megajolt unit just peachy.

On a side note, the pcjolt software ran just fine on the old Lenovo tablet under Windows 8.1.
When I try to run it on the Toshiba tablet I only see a part of the opening screen.
I know you don't support pcjolt, but could you point me to the person who does?

I also replaced my Lenovo tablet and "upgraded" it to the Windows 10 Tech preview.
The computer seems to work just fine, but neither mjfjconfig.exe nor pcjolt will function.
Both programs load and run, but they don't connect. This may be a bug in the Windows 10 preview.

Yeah, I know I'm a big PITA and I am trying to use new tablet computers with old software ... but there is no new software to use.

Thanks for bearing with me.
...Bob