Configurator software: port to other OS?

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

bobclevenger

Configurator software: port to other OS?

Post by bobclevenger »

I see any number of good looking tablet computers that would do nicely as a place to run the Configurator software in my car and be much less hassle than a full laptop. Problem is that they usually run Android or some other OS. They also usually communicate via Bluetooth.

Any possibilities of new software (and BT hardware) for those of us that are moving into the 21st Century?
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes, indeed - in the works :)

The software is designed to port to OSX and Linux, we would need some volunteers to help do this port. Any takers?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Glad to hear it's in the works. Any thought of adding Android or Windows RT or Windows phone OS's?
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Most likely in the form of an android app, and in conjunction with the Megajolt2 project.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Will it have support for V3 users?

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Are there any updates on this? I am looking to tune my watercraft while on the lake...and Android tablet in a waterproof pouch is about my only viable option.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

No updates.

However, we are using a new UI framework for the replacement RaceCapture app which is looking very promising. We will be using it for the app driving Megajolt 2.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ryan.hope

Post by ryan.hope »

I have a lot of experience developing cross platform software so I would love to help on the OSX and Linux ports.

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I'm using a 'Linx10' windows tablet. As it seems to run a full version of windows 8.1 the existing PC software (only tried 3.3.2) works fine and uses the Bluetooth just fine too. These tablets are new to the market and are around £160. The 8" version is around £80.

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Yeah -- I'm back. And I'm in a really angry mood. Apologies in advance if I use some unsavoury language.

Why the hell can't the mjfj configurator program be made to work on a common tablet computer running Windows 8.1? Or soon, Windows 10?
The damned program starts and runs for a bit and then locks up and won't run, even after a reboot.

Are we all expected to keep an old computer around just to run one program?

The tablet in question is the Toshiba 7" unit. I don't recall their stupid name for it. It runs Windows 8.1.

Really pissed-off at the world right now.

Bob
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Bob,

sorry your frustrated. However, the windows app should work fine on windows 8.1; we use that as our main test machine and many people already do.

One of the causes for lockup is not the app per se, but the windows driver used for the USB to serial adapter - some drivers might not work well for Windows 8.1. The manufacturer might have an updated driver, or, you can try a different brand USB to serial adapter.

One experiment is, can you run the application without connected to the Megajolt unit - and not let it communicate, but just navigate around the app, loading a configuration file, etc. Does it still lock up?

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Uh... yeah, Brent, that's what I am trying to do.

When I try to start the configurator all I get is the splash screen.
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Understood.

As you can imagine, there are infinite combinations of windows configurations, windows service pack updates, installed software, video drivers of varying state - all things that can conflict with the operation of any piece of software.

If you can get the model number of the tablet we might be able to see if there's anything unusual about the specs that might cause a problem. In any case, it's not the tablet form factor that's a problem, it's likely something on the tablet that's interfering with our app running.

You can try applying the latest service updates and display drivers to see if that helps. You can also try booting windows in "Safe mode with networking" to see if that helps (as a diagnostic measure). Safe mode loads up a bare bones version of windows and is good for diagnosing software problems.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

OK... a bit more data.
I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it.

Everything seemed to work OK until I assigned the port to COM3 which is my Bluetooth port. The car is out in the driveway and not switched on, so there should be no activity on this port.

After setting the port to COM3 the program would not shut down. I had to use the Task Manager to shut it down.
After doing this it only shows the splash screen upon startup.
...Bob

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

OK... I have been cussing, swearing, and cajoling both the mjlj configurator program and the pcjolt program until I am blue in the face. I have settled down a bit.

Both programs run just fine on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-30k under Windows 7 -- except for the fact that mjfjconfig.exe won't upload diddley-squat via the Bluetooth link. That, I believe, is a known problem that nobody cares about at all. No big deal. I can use pcjolt.exe to do the configuration and uploading process and then use mjljconfig.exe to do the file saving (pcjolt.exe does not do "save as" and overwrites the original file, which destroys my records. Any logging I care to do I can do with mjljconfig.exe (pcjolt.exe has no log function).

The only differences are the physical hardware and the OS. This software seems flakey enough to pour milk on it and serve it for breakfast. It works fine when it works, but don't dare upgrade anything.

All this I can do as long as I am willing to deal with a full-sized laptop in my car as I am driving it. This is exactly why I wanted to use a small tablet. It's kind of a safety thing as well as a convenience. I guess I just lose. That is, of course until the next version of your product is released, something I have heard here is coming soon -- for a couple of years now.

Right now I'm just trying to keep my blood pressure down (that's not a metaphor) and accept that I have to live with what I have.

Thanks for the help you have actually provided, Brent. I really appreciate it, but it hasn't solved my problem.
...Bob