ignition knock

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

alfa boxer

ignition knock

Post by alfa boxer »

How can you tell when an engine is knocking due to being advanced too far its difficult to tell by the seat of your pants, i have no pinging anywhere in the map that i can tell of by ear. i will soon have an lm1 installed to check fueling if i find that i am running rich/lean in areas of the map will increasing/decreasing the timing slightly in these areas help power. :?: i would also like to use the data log from the lm1 with info from the mjlj to be able hopefully make a correct timing adjustment. can any one help with a very detailed acount of how to----
many thanks again lee.
Attachments
Image041.jpg
Image041.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 4259 times

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

hi, i read one thread of adapting a knock sensor read by voltmeter, one or five(detonating), i try to search the post to upload here.

search in google

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Lee,

You might find this thread very interesting and useful...

PH Link

In the end I used a knock sensor to drive an amplifier, then into a pair of ear-protector headphones.

My web site

Follow the link to 'special tools and parts' and 'knock detection circuit'.

David

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

luke6040

Post by luke6040 »

i like the idea of hookin the knock sensor up to some headphone, so i went out and got 1 4 a fiver but its a 3 pin type will this work?

britlude

Post by britlude »

back to the original question, in my case the engine use to stutter/bog as a stamped the throttle, mixture very rich because of the accelerator pumps, dialing more advance where it stuttered on the map has greatly reduced it.. remember a 'wet' mixture burns slower so needs more advance!

so altering the timing in the rich/lean areas will smooth out the power!