Megajolt beginner needs a hand..

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Craigorypeck

Megajolt beginner needs a hand..

Post by Craigorypeck »

Does anyone have a good map for a 2.0 Ford capri running twin 40s, fast road cam and raised CR?
Ive tried googling and came up with this http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/maps/Pi ... e%206k.cfg
But how do I get this onto my unit? Ive saved it as a text file but dont know how to upload it?
Please help!

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Got it uploaded...........

anyone have a pinto map other than the one above I can try?

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hey and welcome to the forum.

Have a look through the ignition map library. There is another standard Map for a pinto engine in there somewhere.

How far have you got with your installation. Would be nice if you could stick your project up in the powered by section, maybe as you do it as we don't tend to have too many capri's.

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Hi. Had a look through the map section and any pinto map suggestions all led back to the original map i found...

I have the system running, all be it laying on the ground outside the car! Worked first time with the edis connected and timing seems dead on with the light. But the light isnt constant, some cylinders show no light at all, but the spark is still there, which I'm putting down to all the wires only being twisted together....?

There are a few other things I'm not sure on, advance correction on the configuration page. Whats this for?

Gonna try and have the temp sender adjust the the timing to assist with cold start too, but i'm in the dark still- more research me thinks!! Any pointers would be great!!

Ill be having another day in the shed tomorrow to get things sorted.

I'll take more pics and upload them when I get it tidied up.

Cheers

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

So I'm going to be a bore and ask a beginners question... I cant get my laptop to communicate with the MJ?
I followed all the instructions and when I got the com sorted it still aint working... I changed the usb to com1 to match the MJ.
A message saying something like "cannot configure cylinder....." would come up at the bottom of the screen?
I have it set at 4 cylinders in the global controller options?
Please help!!! It's too cold to be standing outside trying to get it working!!
Cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Craigory,

If you're using a USB to serial adapter, you want to make sure the your USB device is really on the COM port you think it is- often they get assigned some higher com port number. In any case, the COM port in the configuration software must match the configured com port for the USB adapter in Device Manager.

See this section of the Operation Guide for more assistance:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... n_Software

Perform a fresh reboot and double-check the USB com port setting. After verifying the COM port in the configuration software is correct, it should communicate (make sure the unit is powered!)

Try to verify communications by reading / writing the ignition config on the controller. Look at the bottom of the window for status/error messages. If the software cannot communicate, there may be compatibility problems with the USB-Serial adapter.

If this is the case, try bench-testing it using a computer with a built in serial port- like a desktop computer. If testing with a desktop, you should power the unit using a fresh 9V battery. This is only for testing/diagnostic purposes, of course. If this approach does work, then you likey have a compatibility issue with your USB-Serial adapter- either the hardware or the driver installed on your computer.

Keep us posted on what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Hi brentp.

When i first plugged it in the usb on my laptop it was com33... the MJ only goes as far as 20, so I set them both at com1.

The usb adaptor came with install cd so its working.... I think!

Ive followed the instructions loads of times.. but I'll give it another go tomorrow- in the damn frost!!!

Cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Can't help you with the weather, sorry :)

Let us know what you find out with your testing.

Also, If you have everything wired up (Megajolt, EDIS, coil packs, sensor) and the engine is running off of the new configuration, you should be able to verify the Megajolt is basically "alive" by using a timing light to verify it's controlling ignition advance while the engine is running. Using a timing light you should see the advance adjust up and down as you vary RPM.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Yip, set up first with edis only and fine then with MJ and with the timing light it advances with revs... but my rev counter has stopped!
As far as I'm aware the tacho works from the old - coil connection on my car.
Whats the best way to over come this?
Can I just tap into the - on the new coil pack?
Will wasted spark give a double reading?
I'm Lost!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hopefully this will set you on the right path :)

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... achometers
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

I see! Dosen't make a lot of sense tho! What sort of electrical thingys would I need?
Cheers again brentp.

edit.. found the diodes and a wiring diagram! Sweet

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

Still no connection between laptop and MJ!!
Tried all the trouble shooting tips and all it says is- time out reading cylinder configuration...
Any ideas...? I got the serial to usb adaptor in Maplin so it should be ok?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Craigory,

USB to Serial adapter compatibility issues is a classic problem. There are many variants of these adapters: all with different levels of build quality, different chipsets, different windows drivers, different versions of windows, so on and so forth. It's virtually impossible to test with all- yet, we have a drawer full of these adapters we've tested with. (we'll have a big bonfire one day with these adapters and it'll be on youtube- mark my words)

So- In my earlier post I outlined testing with a computer with a built-in serial port (like a desktop computer). You may need to bench-test it with a 9V battery or equivalent. The purpose of this test is primarily to verify communications with the Megajolt while eliminating the variable of the USB-Serial adapter.

If you can get it to communicate with a regular serial port then the problem centers on compatibility issues with the USB-Serial adapter. Please perform these tests and get back with us so we know where to go next.

Thanks for your patience!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Craigorypeck

Post by Craigorypeck »

I'll try that tomorrow.
Thanks

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

The MJLJ will work with Capri tachos but ONLY 85 on... you need the one with adjustment potentiometer on the back. I think I've covered this issue on the Laser page for Nat a while back, but it could have been on CapriPower... same issues with 24V conversions... definately covered it on CP for this relatively recently.

If the MJLJ tach out isn't working for you, you could try the CTO pin on the EDIS... think it's 11 for the EDIS 4 but please check as I have been looking at EDIS 6's recently for my other Capri and I think they're different pinouts.

If you need any capri specific advice, I can help as I've been MJLJ'd with my Laser for 3 years now... 100% reliability too.

On the comms thing... I'd try avoiding COM1 ffor the adaptor... pick a higher number as COM 1 wasalways reserved for the on board serial ports as far as I know... think I run my PCMCIA adaptor on COM12 on my laptop.

Col (capri_turbo on most forums ;-) )