Anyone mapped a temp sensor?

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Desp

Post by Desp »

I'm running an air cooled VW Engine and I want to install a temp sensor, stock they have no sensors. Just wondering if anyone here has already premapped a temp sensor? If there is a specific one that seems to work pretty well that comes from another car I can buy it and find a place to install it, it'd also save me a lot of time trying to make out the range of it.

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

The VDO ones from the 944's are good the scale is 0-250 deg. You can also get then 0-300 (what I use for my oil temp) The 944 water temp sensors come in two sizes.. Pre 85.5 are small about 3/8" diameter where as the post 85.5 ones are about 1/2" wide. Both screw directly in to the head of the 944. If you go this rout make sure that you use the sensor for the gauge as there is a second temp sensor for the DME.
Respectfully

Dean

Desp

Post by Desp »

Any idea if there is a more common sensor that might be a little bit easier to find at an auto parts store? (maybe cheaper too). What I was really hoping for is that someone had mapped a sensor from a common vehicle, and had the mapping in an excel spreadsheet that they could just send to me... I know, it's taking all of the work out of it, but it'd save me a lot of time :)

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

There is a very common & cheap 2 wire temp sensor used for EFI in all kinds of liquid cooled engines. It came with my EDIS parts. I'm attaching the resistance chart (degrees C). If you use it in MJLJ setup, it will be powered by 5V through 2.2K ohms. I have a file from my unit which translates Aux input voltage to Degrees F. Bruce Roe
Attachments
SensTbl.png
SensTbl.png (96.44 KiB) Viewed 6154 times