ODD FIRE KOHLER

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

BRUCEROE

ODD FIRE KOHLER

Post by BRUCEROE »

Inspiration is an engine, like the front 2 cylinders of small V8. I'm running the 20 hp Kohler ign with EDIS8, 2 coils needed. Since its waste fire, would the other 2 spark output need to be grounded to complete the spark circuit? The engine needs to clear snow at -25 deg F, and cut grass at 100 deg F, and I've been displeased with the OEM fixed 22 deg advance. I also have a 79 Cad with OEM port fuel injection, but simple HEI ignition. I've upgraded the 403 port injection from batch to sequential, would like to improve the IGN too.

Would also like to hear about efforts to waterproof the MJ V4 in practice.

Comments? Bruce Roe

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce, are you currently running the Kohler right now with the EDIS8? We haven't tested it, but it's conceivable you could leave the unused coil drivers from the EDIS module disconnected- unless the EDIS has some type of coil fault detection module. Can you describe how it is wired up? A diagram would help.

For waterproofing: you may consider potting the inside of the whole unit in a suitable electronics potting compound. It makes it difficult to service, but by virtue of potting it it may prevent a reason for servicing :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

Brent Picasso ,

The Kohler will use driver 1 & 4 to line up with my firing order. One coil pack, with the 2
extra outputs shorted should all the energy to the 2 active plugs. The other coil drivers not connected.

I'm currently running everything on the bench with my trigger wheel emulator (a couple $ worth of ICs). When the last snow is past, I'll pull the PTO clutch & attempt to get a trigger wheel mounted. The EDIS seems to run just fine on the bench with no real coil packs. I just added 4 light dummy load resistors (330 ohm 1 watt to battery) for a place to connect the scope. There isn't anything more to add to your standard V8 diagram (unless you want my version of a wheel emulator). I disconnected a dummy load to look for fault detection; everything seemed to keep on running. My emulator has several 10 deg wide timing reference pulse outputs, to allow zooming the scope in on the actual advance.

For MJLJ water resistance, I have a short cable to my preference, a 25 pin MINIATURE D connector. The D is glued into a tight box, and some silicone grease on the mating surfaces keeps water out there. Have done this on other stuff.

The engine has a temp gauge, so I plan to monitor the sender voltage (after removing the MJLJ pullup resistor) to give some shift between winter snow blowing (down to -20 deg) and summer (up to 100 deg) lawn mowing. Air cooled engine temps may vary more than water cooled. Haven't figured out how to get a proper temp readout of the temp sensor; it has a reverse exponential resistance curve I also need. thanks, Bruce Roe

BRUCEROE

engine temp sensor curve

Post by BRUCEROE »

I found the engine temp sensor curve. Bruce Roe

http://www.pe-ltd.com/Downloads%5Ccoolant_temp.pdf

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent- keep us posted on your progress!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter