Connection issue but terminal works

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

ian2000t

Connection issue but terminal works

Post by ian2000t »

My Mini was running Megajolt for about 5 years before it came off the road. It's ready to go back on the road now, but I can't get the Megajolt software to connect to the Megajolt controller.

I've used the same RS232 Prolific USB adapter as I always have. I have this installed in Windows 8, without the "Code 10" error I've had with the newer versions.

I have used Tera Term to connect on Port 5, and can confirm that random characters come back with pressing "C" or "S". I've tried the following Configuration versions, all configured to "COM5", but all I get back is "Timeout reading..." - whether that is the version in "about", or "cylinder count", etc:

Can't remember what version mine was running previously - but none of these versions even tell me in "About" what the controller version is.

Any thoughts what to try next? As I'm getting responses through Tera Term, my thoughts are the PC, USB Serial and Megajolt are all working - but doesn't explain why the configurator software won't connect..

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Best bet to narrow this down is to see if the software and the same USB to serial adapter can work on a different computer - that'll help narrow down the source of the problem. Also on the offending computer, check device manager for any errors that might show up, too.

Also, ensure the Megajolt software is set to use the correct serial port as shows up in device manager. Note too, as you move the USB connection to different ports on your computer, the COM port may change as well.

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ian2000t

Post by ian2000t »

In the end I bought a USB Serial adapter from Emerald.

Worked first time I plugged it in! No idea why my old one stopped working!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

\o/ Glad you got it working.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter