Undriveable under load

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

rekka

Post by rekka »

Thanks for the quick reply Brent, I forgot to mention, that I checked the crank sensor gap prior to making that log. The bracket is very short and unlikely to flex. It points to the back of the pulley rather than the edge. (Picture of the hardware below.)
I'll run through the wiring and make a limp mode run and see what happens. Whether I can accelerate fast enough in limp mode to trigger it is doubtful though.

Cheers.
Attachments
Trigger wheel set up.
Trigger wheel set up.
WHEEL ETC.png (208.65 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

rekka

Post by rekka »

Took it for a good run today after running through the wiring and finding nothing obvious at any of the connections. Managed to trigger the problem on the highway at 60mph on flat ground at about 3200 rpm.
On the way home I unplugged the MJLJ and ran with just the edis and again managed to trigger the fault so that narrows it down to the sensor/wire or edis. I plugged the MJLJ back in again for the long climb home. If you lug it up the hill at 2000 rpm it's fine but if you get a little higher it starts to run a tiny bit rough and push it harder again and it cuts out. The rev counter dropped to zero and stayed there for another five minutes of running. I cycled the ignition and the rev counter comes back to life. Does that have any bearing on the edis module or does it all point to the sensor? I appreciate the feedback Brent, especially as we now know its not the MJLJ so not really your problem.

rekka

Post by rekka »

Mystery Solved, turns out the sensor was gapped correctly but the alignment was slightly off, ie too far from the crank axis, so it was only reading the edges of the tooth not the whole tooth. Being a hidden system its really hard to see in there, so I had to take off a bunch of tin-ware to get a good look and make a special 90 degree gapping gauge.

EA82GT

Re: Undriveable under load

Post by EA82GT »

Bugger ! The story ends here :(

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Undriveable under load

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it figured out, Rekka!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter