New style Ford coil pack (wasted spark) 101

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

laruetou2

New style Ford coil pack (wasted spark) 101

Post by laruetou2 »

Below are some observations - I'm a Newbie so take them with some skepticism.

Sometime between the early 90s and 2000, Ford created a "new style" wasted spark coil pack that: 1) was smaller and lighter; 2) mounted naturally flush to a flat surface; and 3) used more conventional spark plug wire connections.

For U.S. marketed vehicles, this new style pack apparently comes in at least 2 versions - maybe more. But physically they look identical (save the possibility of a sticker that labels the terminals). Rock Auto shows, for model year 2001 (and subsequent years), the Escape and Focus (DOHC) with the Motorcraft part DG536 (Denso 6736006) - about $78 (about $45). For the same (and subsequent years) this parts jobber lists for the Ranger, the Motorcraft part DG544 (Denso 6736009) and in each case the part is about $7.00 cheaper.

I do not know what the difference is in these two part profiles. Perhaps the only difference is that the cylinder firing locations are "reversed". If one looks at images online, there is a sticker on some products that would suggest that the 1-4 and/or 2-3 terminal locations are reversed between the two part numbers. Don't know if that would amount to $7, but anything is possible.

So, for the V-8 crowd, I'd suggest two packs from a Ranger or two packs from the non-Ranger side, just to keep the part numbers and cylinder locations identical. I harvested a DG536 (from PickNPull) out of a Ford Focus over the weekend and will need to find another one from a non-Ranger vehicle to keep everything the same. On the one I harvested, both primary circuits tested to .6 Ohms and both secondaries tested to 11.4K Ohms. This consistency gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Of course, other wasted spark coil packs can be used but this new style fits my application quite well. Mounted flush on the firewall, the spark plug wires point straight forward toward the end goal - the spark plug. In engineering terms, somewhat elegant.

Just as an aside, Rock Auto can be helpful in narrowing down which vehicle/engine combinations have what you need. And while not absolutely accurate in all cases, they normally have a useful picture of the part to help you confirm what the data seems to be telling you. Below are Rock Auto listings of the vehicles where two versions of the new style coil pack is used. Regarding the V-8 Ford vehicles, it looks like they mostly went from old style to COP, skipping the new style. That won't keep a Megajolt enthusiest from using 2 of them with an EDIS8.

Buyer's Guide : DENSO 6736006 Ignition Coil
FORD CONTOUR 1999-2000
FORD ESCAPE 2001-2004
FORD FOCUS 2000-2004
MAZDA TRIBUTE 2001-2004
MERCURY MYSTIQUE 1999-2000

Buyer's Guide : DENSO 6736009 Ignition Coil
FORD RANGER 2001-2011
MAZDA 6 2003-2005
MAZDA B2300 2001-2009

I hope this helps someone down the road.
Cheers,
Larry

brentp
Site Admin

Re: New style Ford coil pack (wasted spark) 101

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the write-up! We've found that the flat more modern coil packs work just fine.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

EA82GT

Post by EA82GT »

So Brent, what is written above, is all good , with your seal of approval then ?

I am at a point to select a suitable coil and CAS for my MJE MK2 EDIS4 task coming up - using a trigger wheels ring gear grafted to my balancer

looking at Rocks catalogue, knowing from past experience with other makes that not all parts listed will fit - at all. They have quite a choice of most looking the same for each of the years as and models. Some CAS look like they have a thin pressed sheet metal trigger wheel pass between its sensor componentry so will avoid that style.

Aware that there may be international differences between models - I am taking a small risk the bits won't match my markets supply

Coil pricing does not seem too bad on a local Oz suppliers website even at our low exchange rate.

I was in too much of a hurry, under pressure , when I nabbed my EDIS modules, of which one will be a spare - yet I have their part numbers to refer to if need be. The donor cars were 1st GEN Focus about 2001 AUDM, and pretty certain 2001 Mondeo AUDM.

I did not think to grab the coils at that stage, or even look at them- stupid !!
Trigger wheels recommends first gen coils without the 'spike' fitting in the coil tower. 2nd gen being 'spike' type so wherever I buy I need to get staff to confirm 'spike' or no 'spike'

Thinking I can not go too wrong using 2001 Focus SOHC or DOHC in getting both a coil and sensor that will do the job ?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I think either of those coil packs will work fine. The EDIS works with virtually all wasted spark style coil packs.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

EA82GT

Post by EA82GT »

OK, thanks again.

I think I read on Trigger Wheels that they describe two coil differences as Type 1 [earlier] and Type 2
Preference is on Type 1
I reckon I have figured Type 1 coil towers look more squat with an external rib for the yeah, almost normal [not central pin type] lead terminal inside.
The coil end of the lead looks to clip onto the rib.

US part number for Type 1 can be seen as FD487.
I have matched to FuelMiser packaged with Delphi sticker at Repco in Oz as CC240
Or GOSS as C190 (for our 1998-2000 Ford 5.0 litre Falcon range)

I used Rocks catalogue to order in on 1996 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6l V8
For this same one engine application, I ordered two different sensor part numbers and got two characteristically and dimensionally different sensors.
The plugs are different too !

I also ordered the V8 lead set for my 4 cylinder project, hoping, but not expecting, leads as long as 42" for two or my four pots. Getting the leads to get two sets of short leads if I mount one coil per end of my flat 4. Cut off the easy to do plug ends to make my own up, retaining the tricky right angled coil end plugs as they are,

Type 2 (Trigger Wheels ref) looks to be FD497
Have tall looking , smoke stack, smooth wall appearance coil towers, no ribs, and 4mm? central pins in each tower for special lead ends
, or Fuelmiser packaged at Repco in Oz as CC239, or GOSS C220
Used a 2002 AUDM Ford Focus to enquire of these coils