MJE MK2 MAP - trigger sensor suitability

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

EA82GT

MJE MK2 MAP - trigger sensor suitability

Post by EA82GT »

Like many, I appreciate the fact that we can cobble together various components to get a complete set-up running. Used is often free or cheap and may or may not cause problems. I picked up for free, a camshaft sensor off an engine already pulled, so no idea of year, from a
Mazda 6, 2.3 NA petrol.

It is actually a FoMoCo part so I could be in luck here

It is marked in microscopic and rough cast characters so may be an error

PA 66 GF30
6M8G - 12K073
FoMoCo DOUNA

I am hoping this will be suitable. I have been reading too much I think, finding there are digital and analogue CAS, resulting in different wave patterns on oscilliiscopes I believe, so don't want to be fabricating a mount for an inoperable sensor.

It is attracted to my trigger wheel, so , magnetic and has three pins in its socket.

Can anyone confirm that what I have will do the job as required for my MJE MK2 MAP set up please?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: MJE MK2 MAP - trigger sensor suitability

Post by brentp »

Best way is to try it and find out if it generates the correct signal. Note, that the sensor is polarity sensitive.

Since you are coloring outside of the lines, you'll want to have an oscilloscope handy to confirm it's making the correct sine-wave shaped waveform, since EDIS needs a VR sensor, not a hall effect sensor (which produces square waves).

Report back and let us know!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

EA82GT

Re: MJE MK2 MAP - trigger sensor suitability

Post by EA82GT »

Thanks for the comment. OK , a scope likely to be a must and been looking at reviews on youtube - one very comprehensively reviewed a 5012H testing it's claims. Comments by others is that it does well for simple automotive diagnostics , so might give it a go, even though it not live up to it's specs allegedly.

You know, I could have sworn someone said they had a nice square signal - raised an eyebrow when I read more on the differences of HE and VR. So, I am learning. Funny that when I ordered two different brand sensors out of the same listing for a US 4.6 litre V8 , I got two physically different sensors, each having different plug housing ! I might just make up my own water proof connectors and pin and seal whatever sensor I end up with