EDIS4 stand alone

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

laruetou2

EDIS4 stand alone

Post by laruetou2 »

I have another thread going and that is where I'll be positing specific info.

The other thread notwithstanding, I thought I would ask a simple question which may be difficult answer. Question: do we believe that the EDIS4 module in limp mode is robust throughout the reasonable rpm ranges? Let's say up to 2000 rpm. I can imagine the Ford engineers not wanting to encourage the driver-operator and therefore dumbing down the limp mode so that the engine wouldn't run very good past fast idle - perhaps 1200 rpm.

Of course, MJ is about automobiles and auto engines are all about variable advance. So not many people on the forum would spend more time in limp mode than they had or have to. Accordingly, getting a real world example will be a long shot.

So, for forum participants that have any substantial experience with limp mode, do you think it is robust (linear) up to some reasonable rpm (2000 or 2500) or does it degrade once it gets past fast idle?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

brentp
Site Admin

Re: EDIS4 stand alone

Post by brentp »

I don't think anyone has explored this topic. As I understand, it simply operates as if it was receiving a static 10 degrees BTDC command - and doesn't assume anything else.

You could test it and let us know if you observe anything different!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

laruetou2

Re: EDIS4 stand alone

Post by laruetou2 »

Thanks Brent for you reply.

I will post on the other thread tonight. But as a tip off, I now believe that the performance of the EDISx is linear. I was able to tweak my system and get it to perform reasonably well.

So, until we receive competence evidence to the contrary, we should go forward with the presumption that the EDISx modules run alone without an ECU put out as good a spark at 3000 RPM (actually better) as they do at 700 RPM.

Cheers,
Larry