Version 3.2.1 firmware and configuration software

Information and announcements on updates to the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Version 3.2.1 firmware and configuration software

Post by brentp »

Coming on the heels of the 3.2.0 release is an updated version that improves PIP signal filtering for noisy electrical systems.

If you are running 3.1.0 or 3.2.0 firmware and notice periodic RPM spikes when running the configuration software, and/or you notice ignition timing instability, you might have false PIP triggering due to noise in the electrical system. As it turns out, V3.0.0 firmware is also vulnerable to a certain extent.

V 3.2.1 firmware improves this situation with the addition of software based noise filtering. A noise filter 'aggressiveness level' value is settable under the Global Controller Options, accessible from the 'Tools' menu of the Configuration software. You will need to go to the advanced tab to access this value.

The default filter level of 10 seems to be fine for most circumstances.

As it turns out, I needed to release a new version of the configuration software as there was a bug editing the values in the Advanced Tab of the global configuration options window.

This release only affects V3 hardware

you can download this release in the usual place: http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_Downloads

Special thanks to Steve Small for testing help on his rather noisy electrical system :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

hammy

Post by hammy »

I've updated my firmware with this verison and used the new MJ -all works fine, not seen any problems -FTDI chipset USB/RS232 lead.

:)
Hammy
X/F Wessie owner and forum Groupie

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Brent

So the noise filter 'aggressiveness level' is in memory location 1 on the Advanced tab? A note on the tab would help...

(What's in memory location 0, by the way? 8))

What are the valid values - 0 to 255?

Can you give some more info on how it works:
- is it indicative of how long the PIP pulse has to be continually asserted before being considered valid
- is it indicative of a delay after which PIP is re-read after initially considered as being asserted to determine if it really is valid
- or something else...

...and does its "indicativeness" mean an actual time value eg 1 == 10uS, 2 == 20uS etc?

TIA
Martin

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

You're right, an extra information on the screen would help!

The value is 0-255, and it controls a loop where it re-samples the PIP signal to make sure it's in the state that it's expecting. if the PIP signal reverts to the old state while in that loop it disqualifies the PIP signal. As for the timing- I didn't yet perform the timing on each loop iteration for the clock cycle, so treat it as a scaled value for now, like a 'knob' you turn until you see improvements. :)

Location 0 is the value that enables the map switching, and is also affected by the check-box on the first tab.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

robocog

Post by robocog »

I have a V2 board and am running the latest firmware - dual maps are working fine, but since the new firmware and dual maps have been loaded I'm getting a lot more false triggers (all shift lights blink)
Noticed this higher up the rev range (did a bit of motorway driving with it today)
Not sure if its related to the new firmware for us retro V2 board users or wether something has been disturbed in some way?
Have double checked the grounds are all OK and tight - nothing got removed for firmware upgrade - but I did unplug the unit to do the dual map switch mod

Will get some ferrites scattered around and check all electrical contacts for soundness
Failing that I may just downgrade the firmware and revert to a single map to see if the probs go away again

Regards
Rob
________
Honda L engine history
Last edited by robocog on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Rob,

Please try running the 3.2.1 firmware with the map switching disabled and the map switching wires disconnected from the molex connector- I'm curious if electrical noise is being conducted through those wires.

Thanks,
Brent

robocog

Post by robocog »

OK Brent, had the unit out of the car to just give my soldering a once over and noticed the new dual map switch was a bit vague feeling and a bit sloppy
Put a meter across it and sure enough it had gone vague internally if the unit was shaken
Think I may have put a little too much heat into it when soldering the wires on, with the added vibration of the 7 at high speed?

Anyway bought a new switch and more importantly perhaps a temperature controlled iron and put the new switch in - just been for a quick blat and haven't seen any more spikes since (though was on slower roads with traffic so a bit limited as to how long I could floor it and keep it there!)

Got the dyno shootout tomorrow morning so will take the laptop with the older firmware and some snips incase I need to do an emergency dual map bypass - the motorway journey there will show if it was the switch at fault

Fingers crossed

Will report back
Thanks once again
Rob
________
Magic flight launch box
Last edited by robocog on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great sleuthing! Keep us posted on the results. Pictures of the dyno session would be great too for the 'Powered by MJLJ' forum! :)

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

robocog

Post by robocog »

Ok the dyno shootout at JKM performance in Portsmouth happened and they kindly allowed me to flick the dual map switch for one of the runs
All went well as far as sparks went and I think everyone was suitably impressed at the dual map switching stuff :-)

I knew I should have hounded you for stickers - I made the worst runs on the day and could have got away with only a single sticker if they are worth 10 HP each
Made 101.4 BHP with the first 2 runs (using the pre configured map from here)
and a low 83? BHP with the map I was originally running

Engine specs are...
2l Pinto , std cam, injection head with no work done to it
FZS 34mm motorcycle carbs
and of course V2 Jolt :-)

Part of me wishes I had put more air in the black rubbery bits as I was running on 16psi and I suspect everyone else had remembered to overinflate :-p

Managed to get all 3 runs logged on the laptop as well, but not sure what I'm looking for
The operators at the road were very helpful and gave loads of pointers and have suggested that I should try and richen up the midrange (they gave an AFR graph as well) wich showed up a massive lean bit in the middle that my narrowband recons is rich (he also pointed this out as he had one eye on my diy guage!)
They also suggested I bring it back in to have the ignition tweked for minimum best timing on the rollers once my fuelling is sorted out- I think I will take them up on the offer as they seem to be quite with it

Have put together a vid of the day out and popped it onto youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjE9kOptPc
(mine is the yellow nosecone and green body MK about 5 cars into the vid)
________
iolite vaporizer review
Last edited by robocog on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the video! I'll take a look at it a bit later.

Looks like the default map works surprisingly well, I've received some good feedback on it.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Jenko

Post by Jenko »

It was certainly a grand day out.....But, same as you rob...I did not have a chance to do any ignition tweeks......

Of interest to me was the fact that my rev counter was way out compared to the one at the RR....Although I'm still confused as to how this could be.....My MJ software stacks up with my rev counter....but the RR was about 1000rpm lower!!!!

Is it possible for the MJ to be out...I figured it simply counted a signal so could not be out by much....

I too have a data log of the three runs, if it's of any interest to you Brent.........

Rob, did you get an idea of cost for getting an ignitionmap done?...

Cheers.

Paul.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Not to discount the RR's system, but I would doubt there would be an issue as it would've been revealed long long ago by the many MJLJ users. :) Plus, it only emits tach pulses in response to the signals coming from the EDIS module.

There is an off chance that you might have your number of cylinders configured incorrectly. Double check that value and make sure it's set correctly.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

So far, this was the only place I could find a link to the V3 downloads page. I could not find it anywhere on the regular pages. Shouldn't the V3 downloads page be more easily found ?

Just a thought.
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !

toenee

Post by toenee »

robocog wrote:Managed to get all 3 runs logged on the laptop as well, but not sure what I'm looking for
The operators at the road were very helpful and gave loads of pointers and have suggested that I should try and richen up the midrange (they gave an AFR graph as well) wich showed up a massive lean bit in the middle that my narrowband recons is rich (he also pointed this out as he had one eye on my diy guage!)
Try blocking the air corrector, jets on the front lower part of the carb bell mouth. Also check your float chambers level, the FZS engine is canted forward. So on the bike the carbs are semi downdraught.