New V3 configurator

Information and announcements on updates to the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

GRUSKS

New V3 configurator

Post by GRUSKS »

Help Guys, ive download the latest V3.2 Configurator but im unable to get it to communicate with my MJ unit.

As soon as i plug the unit in ( serial cable not usb ) it comes up with a msg Unsupported controller version. Ive download the new firmware ( bit unsure what to do with it once ive downloaded it )

I also get the MSG on the bottom of the display ‘Timeout Reading Runtime Data’

The old software tuner was fine so what am i doing wrong. :cry:
Attachments
prob1.JPG
prob1.JPG (32.72 KiB) Viewed 24084 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is by design. You can download the V3.0.0 configuration software to use with the version of the firmware you currently have.

As you've gathered the V3.2.x configuration software is designed to work with the newer firmware; you can also upgrade the firmware to the latest version. See the upgrade guide here for the steps to do the upgrade:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/3.1.0-2.7.0_upgrade_guide

(Just substitute V3.2.1 wherever it says 3.1.0 -- I haven't updated the documentation to reflect the released version).

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

GRUSKS

Post by GRUSKS »

Its been a while since i used the CMD page brent, i get as far as 'Waiting for HC08 reset ACK...' then it just sits there waiting

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

That's correct!

The MJLJ should be powered off before you issue the "hc08sprg....." command.

...then when you see the 'Waiting for HC08 reset ACK...' power up the MJLJ...

...and the CMD window will show some status values and ask whether you want to program the unit [y/N]

..press y and then Return...

...and the new firmware will be loaded.

Make sure you save your existing map on the MJLJ as it will be overwritten with the new firmware

GRUSKS

Post by GRUSKS »

Thas what im doing guys, soon as the 'Waiting for HC08 reset ACK...'msg appears i power up the MJLJ unit but nothing happens it just keeps waiting.

Does this look ok ??
Attachments
prob2.JPG
prob2.JPG (26.79 KiB) Viewed 24065 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

What type of serial connection are you using for your computer? The programming utility is known to have problems with certain USB-Serial adapters.

You might want to try using a computer with a standard serial port and power the unit with a fresh 9V battery.

Report back,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also - its highly recommended you use the 3.2.1 firmware instead of 3.2.0; see the other post in this forum.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GRUSKS

Post by GRUSKS »

Im using a serial cable with a 12v battery, ive tried bith firmware. Ill charge the battery as its been sitting here ofr a few months, it working fine with the old style software.

Spence

GRUSKS

Post by GRUSKS »

Charged the battery over night, and tried it before i went to work, still doing the same. HELP :? :?

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

OK - back to basics for a moment as you seem to be having trouble with updating the firmware....

Does it (still) work in-vehicle?

What version of firmware do you have in the MJLJ at the moment?

You say that the old Configurator was fine - does it still work with that? - do you still have the equivalent Configurator to try? ... you can have many versions of the Configurator installed on your PC at once - I have 4! .. and you can download the older Configurators from http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_Downloads

Have you got/can you borrow another USB adapter?
EDIT: what USB adapter do you have - look in My Computer|Properties|Hardware|Device Manager|Universal Serial Bus Controllers - does it give a clue that you have a FTDI or Hugepine adapter?

Report back...

GRUSKS

Post by GRUSKS »

MartinM wrote:OK - back to basics for a moment as you seem to be having trouble with updating the firmware....

Does it (still) work in-vehicle?

What version of firmware do you have in the MJLJ at the moment?

You say that the old Configurator was fine - does it still work with that? - do you still have the equivalent Configurator to try? ... you can have many versions of the Configurator installed on your PC at once - I have 4! .. and you can download the older Configurators from http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_Downloads

EDIT: what USB adapter do you have - look in My Computer|Properties|Hardware|Device Manager|Universal Serial Bus Controllers - does it give a clue that you have a FTDI or Hugepine adapter?

Report back...

Does it (still) work in-vehicle? Yes

What version of firmware do you have in the MJLJ at the moment? How can i tell what version thats in it

You say that the old Configurator was fine - does it still work with that? Yep , i can get the config from the MJL unit and write to the MJL using the old configurator

Im using a 9pin serial cable into my serial port on my PC no usb adaptor being used.

Its like the pc cant see the MJL unit whilst in the CMD screen.

Spence

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Sorry Spence - I missed the bit in your first post (and later ones as well!) about using a real serial port :oops:

So your screen dumps show that you have V3.0.0 firmware in the MJLJ and you're trying to run the V3.2.0 configurator - which doesn't work - and trying to load firmware V3.2.0 into the MJLJ on COM3. And as Brent says, you should probably be going to V3.2.1 firmware and V3.2.1 Configurator, but that's not the issue here.

If the V3.0.0 Configurator downloads and uploads maps OK then I'm a bit stuck for ideas :( apart from:

- your MJLJ isn't on COM3. hc08sprg.exe will report an error if the COM port doesn't exist, so that seems OK. Are you really, really sure the MJLJ is on COM3 :?

- I have had problems with the reset ACK not being recognised occasionally. It almost seems that I'm not connecting the power quick enough (ie it needs a rapid application of power, which defies a lot of logic). If that happens I just Control-C the DOS command and rerun it - it invariably works fine next time I power up the MJLJ while the PC is waiting for the reset ACK

I'll keep thinking....

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Agree with martin, the programming tool seems a bit finicky at times. Sometimes it doesn't take on the first try.

So evidently you've removed the mjlj from the vehicle and you are trying to program it on your bench using your desktop pc and a standard serial port. And, on the same pc the V3.0.0 config software works fine on Com3?

Under the 'how to' section above, you will find the troubleshoooting section. Follow the instructions for using hyperterminal.

Watching the screen on hyperterminal, power cycle the controller. What you should see is one character show up on the screen everytime you power cycle- this would be the signal to the programming software that its ready to program.

Of course you could try the other troubleshooting steps to verify communications.

hang in there, let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GRUSKS

Post by GRUSKS »

Woo Hoo i got there in the end. I've installed the latest firmware and its all works.

Not really sure what i did in the end, just sat infront of the computer trying over and over again with different com ports.

Thanks for all your help guys. Time for the rolling road now.

Heres the engine that the MJLJ is sparking. Tuned 2L Zetec on Bike carbs.
Attachments
CIMG0218.JPG
CIMG0218.JPG (78.65 KiB) Viewed 23778 times

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Well persevered!

Which bike carbs are they and what manifold did you use?

Martin