1982 VW Rabbit

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Broke4speed

1982 VW Rabbit

Post by Broke4speed »

Well, since I got it fired up on EDIS tonight, and the controller is on the way...figured I might as well start my thread.

1982 VW Rabbit 4-door, in beige. 10:1 1.8 8v engine, 256* Neuspeed camshaft (very mild), adjustable cam gear (set to +4*), dual Dellorto DHLA40Hs, and now...EDIS-based ignition. I was running an electronic ignition setup previous to this (stock CIS-E, knock-sensing, MAP-based) so I kinda doubted how much difference there would be. The stock ignition was amplified by a Jacobs ProStreet box, and my plugs were gapped at .050", so the spark was pretty hot.

So tonight I wired up the EDIS to make sure it was ready for the MJLJ's arrival...

:shock:

It fired up so fast (once I realized I had swapped coil A for coil B in the wiring), I couldn't believe it! Even at a static 10* the change in idle was amazing! I have to say, I'm definitely sold :D.

Here's how my sensor is mounted:
It's drilled into the stock power steering bracket (deleted), and even though it looks like it will hang up on road debris, there is plenty of clearance. Once I tidy everything up (was getting frustrated with certain VW wiring 'quirks', such as the way the fuel pump won't fire if the coil is taken out of the circuit), I'll have pics of my install. Once the map is dialed in, I'll post it up as well :thumbup:.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Tidied up some wiring, swapped the coil wires around so that 1-4 and 2-3 correspond to the proper cylinders, and decided to fire it up again to see if I was dreaming.

NOPE! I am constantly caught off guard by how quickly it fires up! It's unbelievable, especially since it always took at least a few seconds worth of cranking on the other ignition. From a dead cold start, the former routine was 'pump-pump-pump-pump-half throttle-turn key-floor the pedal'. Now it's 'pump-pump-pumVROOOOOOOOM!'

My MJLJ controller is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow morning, and I've got everything I need to set up the TPS. It's supposed to rain for the next three days straight...so I know what I'm doing :D.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Controller is in! :D
Tonight should be fun!
Thanks to Brent and Autosport Labs for the fast shipping :thumbup:.

sunray

Post by sunray »

Looks like a perfect match for old vw motor. Are you going to make a shield for your sensor to reduce the chance of a rock hitting it?

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

I may fab up a small shield as extra safety, but on a previous SDS (simple digital systems - standalone) setup where the hall sender is mounted in the same place to read magnets set in the pulley, I never had any issues with road debris. Not to say it won't happen, especially with a larger sensor taunting it.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

The oil pan is lower than that sensor, so it shouldn't be a problem. I like to see good projects, nice job. VW did a decent job on those waterpumpers, I had a bunch: 2 Scirocco1, a Jetta1, a Scirocco2 16v, and a Corrado. Now I have an aircooled 550 Spyder replica with a Megajolted type1(180 hp). The highly modded Corrado used to be the fastest car I had, but nothing beats light, the Spyder weighs 1420 pounds.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

I believe I recently read your Spyder thread, very cool stuff. I've been obsessed during work hours...on break of course ;), and reading every thread on the forum. I'm seriously considering finding an old Notchback next :D.

Just got back from the inaugural test drive. I'm ridiculously impressed with the Megajolt setup, it's a lot smoother than it was on the CIS-E setup. The usual flat spot between part throttle and WOT has been diminished, and it idles great. It was super easy to set up, install, and operate. I'm definitely stoked :greatpost:.

The overview:

My distributor delete (aka: an old dizzy cut down and capped):

The EDIS and MJLJ modules (the megajolt is mounted in a CIS-E ecu case):

The TPS mounted to the throttle shaft of the carbs (to enable 3D ignition mapping, RPM vs. Throttle Position)

:mrgreen:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Nice, brings back memories! Best part, when replacing timing belt, all you have to worry about is the crank and the cam. I turned my old dizzy into my new oil filler.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Without the timing belt covers, I can do the timing belt in about 10 minutes now! :D

Just dynoed today, very happy with the results. 105whp / 119wtq, stock head, neuspeed 256 (+4* on cam gear), 32mm chokes in the carbs, stock dual outlet manifold/downpipe, and 1.5" exhaust :D. This is with a basic map in the Megajolt too, peaking at 28* at WOT. Not too shabby for a 1.8 8v IMO. I do have a 2.0 block here though...and I'm very tempted to swap it in. I have a new clutch/PP/Flywheel, and a spare transmission, so technically I can assemble the block/tranny and drop it in as a unit :D.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Not much in the way of updates, the MJLJ unit is just too reliable and steady! I recently inadvertently took the car off the road for a couple weeks to change the clutch...which turned into pulling the engine out completely. I had to change the clutch lever seal as well, so figured what the hey...lets haul it out. Also took the time to plug a few open holes in the firewall that allowed fuel vapor into the cabin (high RPM fuel reversion due to restrictive exhaust), so maybe now I won't stink every time I drive the car. Built myself a lower suspension bar (copied the stock Scirocco 16v 'K-Bar') to help keep the frame horns/front control arm mounts from spreading under hard driving. The joys of owning a car without a subframe :lol: .

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great, thank you for the updates!

I still need to get the Webers side-drafts installed on the 240z...
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Heading to the dragstrip next weekend, and will be bringing my laptop :D. I don't expect better than a 16 sec pass...but I'll finally have a good place for some 'seat-of-the-pants' adjustments. Recently did a 2.25" exhaust...holy earplugs Batman. Should be interesting at 7000 rpm, so I'll be bringing my earplugs.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Wow, forgot about updating after the track. 16.6 @ 82mph :lol: . I suppose the limiting factor here is the portly driver (cresting 290 right now), because I expected at least a 16 flat. Ah well, I didn't build it for drag racing, so I suppose it's not a big deal. I've sold off my dual DHLA carbs and will be running a single Holley-Weber 2BBL for a while. I'm upgrading to a larger downpipe, and 7mm valve stems for a bit more flow out of the stock head. I've also recently just ordered the MAP sensor conversion and hard rev limiter (about 5 minutes ago). My time at the track showed me that a non-functional tach is definitely a liability, so until I can get it to work...I'll be counting on the rev limiter to let me know what's up ;).

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Ha, even with a 2D ignition map (waiting for the MAP sensor retrofit), it fires up and idles great...with a HUGE vacuum leak (my fault, fixed now). I hardly had to try, it was instantaneous, which meant I didn't realize there was a vac leak. Darn you MJLJ! DARN YOU ALL TO HECK!!

Seriously though, I'm in love with this product. I might even go for MJLJ 2 when it's released, just for fun :D.

volksnut

Post by volksnut »

but why did you swap out those Dells, you'll be slower now, or do you want the gas mileage? Cool build....