1982 VW Rabbit

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Had a bit of playtime yesterday and decided to hack up a cheap adjustable timing light for parts to fix my good one that died. It was a successful operation...which lead me to discover something isn't right :(. The TDC mark on my flywheel does not line up with the right point when the engine is at TDC...this is bad. The car runs great, but seems to need nearly 13* of trim to get everything to line up (it used to be 1*). Looks like I have to pull the timing cog at the crank off, to see if the keyway has begun migrating (an uncommon, but known, issue with these motors). If it's fine, then I've got some detective work ahead of me.

On a lighter note, my hard cut limiter works fine, tee hee :lol: .

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

So instead of taking off the timing belt and resetting/checking everything...I've been building a new gearbox for the car. I love the feeling of a hard-shifting automatic, so decided to build one for myself. I've modded the forward drum/clutchpack to hold 5 clutches (vs. the stock 4), and will be shipping the valve body off for a full-manual conversion. I've been shown how to tap the case for cooler ports (doesn't come with them), and will do that as soon as the VB is away (since I need to drill into the case).

I'm not actually certain that the box that I've rebuilt will work...but hey, gotta start somewhere :D.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Still haven't gotten around to sorting out the timing issues, been distracted by the gearbox project. As it turns out, the early 010 VW automatic is CAKE to mod, and I've got a nice manual VB in it now too. 5 clutches forward drum, 5 clutches direct drum, kevlar band, chromoly pump drive, and manual VB = FUN AS ALL GET OUT!

...until the seal on the piston in the forward drum goes boom (due to being 20 years old, lol).

I figure while the engine is out, I'll double-check the timing marks vs. physical TDC of the engine. It runs great, I got one solid test drive before the seal went, leaving me with only reverse, lol. I'd still like to double-check that crank pulley though, for peace of mind.

The new (to me) non-emissions Dells are a DREAM to work with too.
Last edited by Broke4speed on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Sounds like you have been a busy bee broke4speed. But I don't understand the need for an auto box when you could quite easily slot a manual in there. Wouldn't feel right with a tuned engine and an auto box???? But i guess i'm a pommy!!!! lol :lol:
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

The manual valve body is the key, it means I control the shift. Now, it's basically a three speed manual, except I don't have to clutch in or lift anymore :D. When I move the shifter from 1-2-3, the shift is instantaneous. :D

To be honest, I've been so bored with VWs for a while, I was tempted to sell it all and find something else. The automatic buildup revitalized my appreciation for them, and bumped me out of the funk I was in. It's fun to do something that nobody's really done before, especially when it turns out so well on the first try :lol: .

I've also got a soft spot for old-school drag racing/hot rodding. Huge cams and automatics are the way to go!

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

What you done with all the small block stuff ?!? :)

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Still have it, slowly trying to rebuild the 1.3, but it's tough to find parts over here. It's all from the early Mk1 Golfs too, rocker fingers and low compression...so it's not even easy to find it across the pond :(.

The crank adapter I made has a pilot hole in the center, so I can keep using the automatic when I swap to the small-block motor ;).

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

Broke4speed wrote:Still have it, slowly trying to rebuild the 1.3, but it's tough to find parts over here. It's all from the early Mk1 Golfs too, rocker fingers and low compression...so it's not even easy to find it across the pond :(.

The crank adapter I made has a pilot hole in the center, so I can keep using the automatic when I swap to the small-block motor ;).
What do you need ?? I'll have an ask ...

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Mainly crank and rod bearings (not sure if they're shared with the later FI 1.3 motors or not). My 1.3 pistons are still in top shape, so I'll just have a 1.1 block bored out for them if I can't hone out the ridge in the 1.3 block without damaging it. That's really the only thing holding me back, as I've got spares of just about everything else :D. IIRC it's a GG code block (or GF?) The head is dished, not flat like the MkII smallblocks.

Much appreciation if you can help :D.

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

Broke4speed wrote:Mainly crank and rod bearings (not sure if they're shared with the later FI 1.3 motors or not). My 1.3 pistons are still in top shape, so I'll just have a 1.1 block bored out for them if I can't hone out the ridge in the 1.3 block without damaging it. That's really the only thing holding me back, as I've got spares of just about everything else :D. IIRC it's a GG code block (or GF?) The head is dished, not flat like the MkII smallblocks.

Much appreciation if you can help :D.
Got a GF myself in my daily - and an HK in the project car ( different solid lifter head and 9.5:1 c/r ! hehe )

Main bearing sets are £21.50 + vat a set from GSF car parts :) - http://www.gsfcarparts.com/index.asp

Not sure what that entails or if they'll ship it out to you - part no. 161VG0190 for standard size

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Nice, I had looked into GSF before, but I wasn't sure they could still get what I was after. I'll have to dig out my smallblock stuff again :D. Thanks dude!

Minor update: The car fired up last night (that's never an issue, thank you MJLJr ;) ), I tentatively shifted into 1st from P...and it engaged the gear! It creeped forward, which got me dancing in my seat, lol. The new piston/seal is holding, and if it's not raining tonight I'll be going for a test drive :D.

Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

Broke4speed wrote:Nice, I had looked into GSF before, but I wasn't sure they could still get what I was after. I'll have to dig out my smallblock stuff again :D. Thanks dude!

Minor update: The car fired up last night (that's never an issue, thank you MJLJr ;) ), I tentatively shifted into 1st from P...and it engaged the gear! It creeped forward, which got me dancing in my seat, lol. The new piston/seal is holding, and if it's not raining tonight I'll be going for a test drive :D.

You probably won't have to pay VAT as you're not "here " ....although you might get raped by your own customs and excise for stuff that was never sold in your country.... :roll:

Pics/vid please of tonights action.

HTH BTW....ETC.....FTW.. :roll:

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

No video yet, too dark when I get home :(. The drive around the block went flawlessly though, the 1-2 shift is hard as nails, very cool. The 2-3 shift is a bit softer, but the gears are closer together in size. It's instantaneous though, I love it :D. I can hopefully get a video tomorrow, I'm off work.

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Video time!

It's 5 min long, the mic in my GoPro is dead, so it's tough to hear anything but squawks and rattles, but shows the shifts nicely. Most of the video is me going around the block, so you can see how hard 2nd hits at low speeds. At the 3:40 mark, I give it a bit of WOT (carbs are not tuned for full throttle yet, kinda lean), and the 1-2 shift is smooooooooooth :D. 2-3 is always good, so no news there. The ATF level is kinda high, so I really should drain some out...but this was the last drive for the car until April :(.

Basically, I can't say enough good stuff about this transmission. It's going to be a looooooooooooooooong winter :(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2nkOdjRr-k

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

Ahh, I love the feel of a hard-shifting auto when on the loud pedal.. :)

For winding up and down through the twisty bits, manuals are nice,

but the punch in the back and the loud tyre "chirrp!" of the 1-2 shift of a tweaked up Auto, under full power was one of the things I loved about my Torqueflite Auto (last time it was on the road a few years ago).

At least your fun car is on the road, even if it is winter.. Mine is still 6 months away.. Although the paint went on the other day, so thats a big step forward.. ;)

Building your own "Oily Brains" Auto is an impressive achievement. I recall watching the guy who built mine talking about the valve-body governers, pressure modulators, clutch packs, bands and so on and think whoa, thats complicated !

The Shoe is going to be on the other foot soon though.. He has a project car on the go that is going to run a late-model Auto, with Electronic Valve control, and I'll be helping him out making a MegaShift (Megasquirt add on) board run it. Electronics are easy (to me), compared to all those valves, springs and check-balls.. :)

Never did like them clutch-pedals much. I'll take a torque convertor that multiplies the power over a dumb clutch plate that burns it up as dust anyday !