The POS makes it's presents felt...

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Humpty

The POS makes it's presents felt...

Post by Humpty »

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I like it, nic job. What are the motor specs, size, compression, heads, turbo size, etc.

I guess you'll be hooking those lines to a cooler and/or external filter, eh?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Stunning with all of that beautiful stainless! I want to see pics later when it's been heat discolored. Gorgeous install!

Yes, more specs / info please!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Cheers guys.... I'm pretty stoked with it.... I can't believe how well it all fits.... Only one thing didn't work out as planned... The waste gate actuator just touches the closed engine lid!!!!!.... So I'll make up a lower engine cover prop to make it work.... Better for cooling anyway....

As for specs.... Prolly not the best engine choice, but it's solid, trusted and a known item.
1776 I built back in 93, which has over 200,000kms on the bottomend!!!
New (back in 93) AS41 crankcase.
BERG deep sump and OBERG filter and BERG bypass oil pump cover.
Cima/Mahle P&C.s with a total seal second ring.
Demello CW 69mm crankshaft with a BERG style achiever pully made by Stoker Engineering back in 93.
Stock BERG built con rods.
Engle 120 cam.
BERG titanium pushrods.
Home made bolt together rocker assembly with OEM rockers and BERG adjusters.
044 heads with 60cc semi-hemi chambers, 7.5-1, with .040" copper head gaskets, 40x35.5 valves and lots of porting and polishing by a good mate and highly respected Dub dude in Woolongong NSW..... Shimo, the turbo god!.... The heads have had a recent freshen up with new SS exhaust valves and seats... All the other 200,000 old bits are in perfect order....
9lbs flywheel, KEP 1700lbs clutch with a KEP gold disc.... All old school like the donk!
45DCOE that has has some turbo mods... The carb was donated to the cause by yet another awesome Aussie Dubber with turbo experience.... Nick Econono at Vollkerman Art in Victoria.
Home made SS exhaust header, dump, pipework and flanges... Muffler was an ebay find from New Zealand.... Lovely bit of work.
Garret GT2860RS ball-bearing turbo off a Skyline.... Less than 6 months I was told.... It is a very clean turbo for sure!
Twin 3/8 solid fuel line with a holley blue at the front and a holley style fuel return regulator at the back.... The return feeds to the top of the tank via the late 60's OEM fuel sender blanking plate....
Solid aluminum transaxle mounts.
Built close ratio (no good for turbo I know!) transaxle that TRANSFORM built back in 95... Like most of the drive train.... It's what I had laying around....

Car was built on a very low budget using a lot of secondhand parts...

And of course we can't forget.... The EDIS/Megajolt ignition... I made the dissy block-off plug, and did all the usual fabriction to make it happen.... But with lots of support from mates and forums along the way... Not to mention some help from you guys....

Cheers!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Fantastic! Now you need some in-car video of you accelerating ;)

Keep us posted!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Thanks for the info. Got a nice combo there.

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

brentp wrote:Fantastic! Now you need some in-car video of you accelerating ;)

Keep us posted!
Will do.... Got a VW show this weekend... Might see if I can get some miles on it.... But will take it easy... It's gonna be 35C (95F) on Sunday!!!! :shock:

Summers here! :D

volksnut

Post by volksnut »

yeah the possibilities of closing the lid with a draw through set-up is a lot better running without a distributor in the way, I was wondering where you got the header with the collector on the left side but see you built it your self....good job! I second the road trip video...we like those :D My old system was close to closing the lid, it was an old Bernie Bermann kit made for blow through I modified to use as a draw through, ran a Holley 500cfm 2 barrel...had to modify the hood hinge and run lower deck lid prop..... Image[/img]

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Nice looking set-up there Volksnut.... Way cleaner than mine that's for sure!!!!!.... But thanks for the compliment.

I managed to get all the minor oil and fuel leaks sorted over the past afternoons, and managed to get it all back together yesterday arvo... Then I took it for it's maiden voyage..... To the pub.... Got tailed by copper some of the way.... A little nervous I was.... The cider was nice and company was good on the eye....

Then the morning came around.... Day of the show.... Over 20 Dubs turned up at my place this morning with a lazy 20km highway trip to the other side of town ahead of us.... All went ok.... Car was a little rough at cruising speed.... Has a bit of a stumble/flat spot around 2200rpm... Get through that and it begins to pull very hard... Didn't go over 60mph, but it got there pretty darn quick! :shock:

Idle is a little rough and the jetting is all wrong I feel... Don't think the map is anywhere near close either... In fact I'm not even sure my initial is even close.... Its a little confusing that part of the set-up.... I have so much to learn about this ignition its not funny....

Loads of pics were taken by various dubbers throughout the day.... I'm sure my forum will have something I can link here in the next few days.... Maybe even a video!

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

today was the big day.... I took the car to school (Im a high school teacher) and the machine went pretty well.... It really does run better when it warms up.... Has a stutter when its cold.... Sorta like a rev limiter but at around 2200prm... No clue what rpm yet as my laptop has a crook battery and I haven't got a tacho yet.... But once the POS warms up the stutter is all but gone.... It is running a little on the rich side, so have ordered a range of main jets... I think the stutter could also be because of the slightly rich mixture....

Also.... It starts fine, and idles well.... The idle problems I had before were mostly down to a very tight accelerator cable/linkage.... And possibly because it was all little dry and tight from lack of use.... All good there now....

Now for the ignition.... Still not sure how it is going.... As I haven't been able to do any data logging, I really have no clue if the map is even close.... I think I based mine on DannyP's map, but I reduced the initial a little... Volksnut.... Do you have a screen grab of you current map?.... I know this is all a bit dangerous since I haven't done any logging, but what sort of things should I be aiming for when it comes to load v rpm?... Currently the 500rpm stage is set at 8, 600 at 9, 800 from 11 to 15, 1000 9 to 18 etc.... That last one looks a little odd to me... 9 seems wrong given that at 800rpm, the advance is at 11 for load point 10 and 20... I'm prolly not making myself clear here, but I hope you guys can steer me right....

In closing.... It's got some poke! :shock: :D

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

You may want to back off the advance at 2000-2500 a little then. I have found that if there is too much, it won't like it and will stutter as you say.

Remember, every engine is a little different and I am pretty high up on the map count, version 20 is my latest, and I just keep tweaking it a little at a time.

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Cheers Danny..... I'll give that a shot...

volksnut

Post by volksnut »

I pretty much took Dannys map and did a bit of tweaking as mine is still n/a.....I'll change a few things after the turbo goes on

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Ok.... Time for an update....

Still no dataloging.... Tried to get around the problem by using an automotive laptop converter.... Didn't work. :cry:
Bought a new battery off ebay today....

Not gonna fit a tach.... Trying to keep it simple in there.... Making a shift-light instead... plan to mount it next to the speedo, behind the speaker grill on the dash...

I have some jets and custom emulsion tubes coming from the US which hopefully will get me closer to the correct A/F.... To insure I can keep a track on that I just bought an Innovate LC-1 Wideband Gauge Kit.... $237Aus.... Will be handy I'm sure.... Plan to fit it to the car so it is easily removed... I have a couple of other projects on the boil that will surely benefit... I can datalog the LC-1 info with the MJLJ software right?.... Any links to how that is set up?

As for a video.... Nothing of the POS actually running.... It's running pretty crappily at the moment.... But here's a little flick I put together of the show last month.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2fNuNFrDo0

You can hear it right at the start of the video.... Look out from my car 1.10 in... You can see the beige running ERCO's infront of the incar video... And you can see it to the far right of the closing shot...

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

Thought I'd let you see where I'm at with the map....

I have no real clue at this stage whether I'm in the ball park or not, as the ability to datalog still eludes me... Hopefully by this time next week, my situation will be different....