Vauxhall Nova Mk1, 1600 8v, R1 carbs...

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Prey

Vauxhall Nova Mk1, 1600 8v, R1 carbs...

Post by Prey »

My wkend project, recently megajolted. Was running bike carbs for a few months on a dizzy so can say the megajolt is a worthwhile upgrade. Noticed much smoother through the revs and pulls better low down/midrange. It also leaned the fuelling over the dizzy so it needed the mixture richening a bit.

It isn't the fastest thing out there but it is quick enough to be fun and quite chuckable (going down the road of adding lightness), I give you...

A few pics of the install etc to come.

Prey

Post by Prey »

Trigger wheel is a ring from trigger-wheels.com, welded to a standard 8v pulley that has ben turned down slightly to give a flatter surface to weld to. The crank sensor bracket is a modified 16v bracket:

I am using the tps on the carbs for the load signal, simply plugged the wires onto the standard connector on the r1s and siliconed/strapped:

Shameful carb/trumpet pic:

Prey

Post by Prey »

Overall view, the dizzy is still in place at the moment as I have a dizzy blank that is having the drive hole filled in so will be fitting it soon:

The coil is temporarily mounted with huge cable ties until I relocate it to the inner wing area (where the dizzy amp/coil used to sit):

And (again temporarily) the edis is sitting here, I am planning to put this inside the car soon to tidy the engine bay wiring up:

Wiring is entering the car through the old windscreen washer pipe hole, when the edis goes inside the car the wiring will be going through the bulkhead down behind the carbs (which should look a lot neater):

Prey

Post by Prey »

Coming inside the car we've got the earth points top left and the unit itself mounted nice and easy to reach in a really stupid place (will be going in stereo area most likely when i rewire), also have my rev counter working from the megajolt (ignore the trailing wires on that pic, they are power take offs for a wideband):

And finally of course - plugged in:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Vey nice setup you have there Prey

What maps are you currently using and how have you set your carbs up for your engine??

Any chance of a pic of how you have mounted the VR sensor just so others can use your ideas please??

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Prey

Post by Prey »

Thats the only other pic I have of the bracket at the moment, its a 1600 16v one - spaced out from the block and thinned a little to clear the trigger wheel. Then the sensor hole is taken out a bit and the sensor itself spaced with washers.

Map wise its been tweaked from the startup map by two chaps more knowledgeable than me! I have been learning as I go along on this one as this is my first encounter with mappable ignition.

(massive thanks to tom reid and andy tedder for being those knowledgeable chaps!)

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

A sleeper! I like it! :D
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

Prey

Post by Prey »

Quagmire wrote:A sleeper! I like it! :D
Ta, the only thing on the shopping list exterior wise is some 15in steels to replace the alloys!

tom reid

Post by tom reid »

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Left brake light is out :D

Looking good, although the only memory I have of ever being in a Mk1 is having an old duffer give me a lift to the petrol station when I ran out many years ago... it didn't sound like that for sure... lol

Prey

Post by Prey »

Well I guess a bit of an update - the headgasket needed doing! So while the head was off it had new guides, seats and valves cut and lapped, a skim - and a bigger cam.

I also pulled all the megajolt out and moved the edis inside the car - along with hiding all the front end loom and moving the battery and washer etc.

I'm still playing with tweaking the mj now and fuelling etc - I can't believe the amount of fuel it wants at the top end - i'm currently on 2mm jets and it will still take more!

Anyway what the bay looks like now:

I don't have any up to date pics of the interior yet - I will take some showing the shift lights, edis mounting etc.

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

love the bike carbs and the spacious "furnace" room.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

Hi, I have a setup that looks like your's. I also like to install a MegaJolt. Now i am bussy collecting the parts i need. I bought a TPS for the Mikuni's. I think i bought the wrong one, do you have a part number of you're TPS for reference?

Thanks

ps

TPS has 4 notches, Mikuni's have a sort of two half circle's one of them has a opening
Attachments
P1250092.JPG
P1250092.JPG (158.81 KiB) Viewed 34343 times
P1250090.JPG
P1250090.JPG (163.75 KiB) Viewed 34343 times
P1250105.JPG
P1250105.JPG (162.85 KiB) Viewed 34343 times

dave448

snap

Post by dave448 »

doing almost the same ..with omex200 and dcoe40s .... your blog on this has been a great help l :)