1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagao

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Patriq

1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagao

Post by Patriq »

This is my 1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato.

It was bought in august 2005. It was immediately placed in a museum for a year. Suited me fine - having it stored and looked after in a warm dry place for a year.
It was registered the day before my wedding and used at that occasion and for a short period there after.
Ignition soon failed and car ran generally poorly.

I choose to go for MJLJ and spent a year or so sorting that out. After I had ignition I turned to the engine. Realizing compression was low on several cylinders. So engine was completely overhauled, carburettors also. This took me two years or so.

Car has recently been registered again and run on dyno to set the carburettors.

Engine is a 4cyl 1750 engine with non-original pistons. They have been modified for larger inlet valves. I don't know what pistons are and what compression is at the moment.
Cams are CB's: inlet AR 135 332 C, exhaust AR 120 314 C.
Manifold is non original, but unknown.
Carburettors are 45 weber double sidedraft.

Dyno resulted in 138.5 bhp. It should be able to result in more, and we suspected maybe compression wasn't as high as could/should have been. And the performance of the manifolds is also unknown.
Unfortunately rear calipers stuck and was on and off during the sessions - also when I drove from it. So I will have to do something about them.

Trigger wheel for the MJLJ is a rebuilt dizzy with 72-2 wheel. Original sensor from the Ford EDIS couldn't read the small teeth - so instead a sensor from a Mazda RX-7 dizzy has been used.

Module for a rev.limiter has been added and also a water temp sensor that both adjust ignition from start up to warm with -2 to +3 adjustment from zero to 110 dgs celcius.

Run on dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53ZY2nJEto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWd4vRbOc_E
Attachments
1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato - sideview
90DA0108.jpg (79.42 KiB) Viewed 26050 times
1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato - frontview
1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato - frontview
90DA0123.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 26050 times
90DA0116.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 26050 times
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Some more pictures of the engine etc.
Attachments
1750 Engine
1750 Engine
7EBA8552_sized.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 26049 times
TPS sensor
TPS sensor
7EBA8563_sized.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 26049 times
Converted dizzy to 72-2 wheel
Converted dizzy to 72-2 wheel
dizzy4_sized.jpg (122.04 KiB) Viewed 26049 times

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Alfa really do make some of the most beautiful cars. Very nice bit of kit you have their matey :)

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Thanks !

Yes, very pleased with it. Being able to at last drive it, since it's been under overhaul for several years.
:-)

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

It looks wonderful patriq. Definately something different.

Although it doesn't compare i had an alfa 145 cloverleaf which was fairly rapid and goods fun to drive, looked a bit of a dog but was mechanically sound.

Have you got a guard for that triggerwheel?? Otherwise you could have a finger like mine, lol. Checkout http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... 33&start=0 on the post from the 10 Nov
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Thanks !

I haven't had a cover made yet. I'm trying different solutions. Since the wheel extends beyond the flat base under it - I have to conjure up something that allows it to sit securely at a distance from the wheel but still attached to the dizzy.

lindsay_palmer

Post by lindsay_palmer »

Can anyone tell me where I can get a throttle position sensor like the one used in this system?

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

lindsay_palmer wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can get a throttle position sensor like the one used in this system?
Hi!

I have since sold. By the time I sold I had just finished preparing a 36-1 trigger wheel for the crank. Whether the new owner fitted this, I don't know. If I know him he has mounted a standard dizzy.

I mean to remember I bought minel here: http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d10.html
At least they stock it. They have other useful items as well.

lindsay_palmer

Post by lindsay_palmer »

Patriq wrote:
lindsay_palmer wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can get a throttle position sensor like the one used in this system?
Hi!

I have since sold. By the time I sold I had just finished preparing a 36-1 trigger wheel for the crank. Whether the new owner fitted this, I don't know. If I know him he has mounted a standard dizzy.

I mean to remember I bought minel here: http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d10.html
At least they stock it. They have other useful items as well.
Thank you very much.