New to Site / EDIS / Converting a Chevrolet Corvair

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

keitho64

New to Site / EDIS / Converting a Chevrolet Corvair

Post by keitho64 »

I finally broke down and ordered the MegaJolt. I have the full EDIS system off a 1990's Taurus. While I am waiting for it to show up I built some base timing maps using the Static, Mechanical and Vacuum advance specifications based upon published data from Chevrolet. I plotted this in a simple spreadsheet I created.

I downloaded a spreadsheet from this site that I can plot this information into and come up with some additional maps for part throttle timing.

I am installing it on my 1964 Corvair. It has the flat 6, normally aspirated with 4 1bbl carbs. It is actually a 110HP engine with the 4 carb conversion and dual exhaust. My initial goal is to have a complete map for the 140HP engine and also the 110HP engine. I expect my final setting to be some where in between.

Here is a shot of the car as well as the engine with the Dizzy. I will post after pictures when I am done. I am also removing the mechanical fuel pump and converting to electric.

I found a wealth of information on the site here and the vast majority of my questions have been answered by the 'Search' feature, however I am sure I will have questions when I get into the nuts and bolts of the conversion.

Here is a link to the way the car sounds now. I am curious to hear how it runs when I am finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNDyx707R0
Attachments
1964 110HP with Otto 4x1 Carb Kit
1964 110HP with Otto 4x1 Carb Kit
1964Engine.JPG (112.52 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
1964 Corvair Monza
1964 Corvair Monza
DSC00502.JPG (154.03 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
Keith
63 Spyder Coupe (temporary surrogate owner)
64 Monza Convert 110 4-speed
69 911T (IROC Clone)
"Horizontally Opposed"
Darien, IL and Boyds, MD

mark pietz

Post by mark pietz »

Keith,
Are you also over on the Corvair Center site? If not, go to it and google my name, and you'll turn up extensive postings and pics on how I did this to my (former) '66 Corsa turbo. My trigger wheel was a thin, stamped affair from some unknown OEM application (Jaguar, I am told). Regrettably, last week my laptop was stolen and had all my ignition map files and data logging - no backups. Now I need to do again just what you said - taking what I call the "three point plot" (advance at idle, mid-range, and max), then graphing it out and interpolating. For the Corsa, I used the 95hp curve, including vacuum advance, and guesstimated the retard under boost. Only had to make one tweak to get it working perfectly.