'56 VW Bug

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jestes

'56 VW Bug

Post by jestes »

I've spent the last 5 years building this 56 VW Bug from the ground up. I narrowed the front beam 2-1/2 inches, installed 4 wheel disk brakes with a 4x100 bolt pattern, added dropped spindles and replaced both pan halves with near perfect German metal from a 55 pan. Body wise I left it mostly stock, but I did fill in the exhaust cutouts and frenched in the head lights. The trim strips have been removed but I plan on putting them back on since I opted for the swan neck mirrors.

The engine is currently being built and should be done next month. It will be a 2110cc with 044 heads 40mm x 35.5mm valves and Webber 44 IDFs feeding it. I'll be bolting up an all stainless A-1 sidewinder 1-5/8" exhaust to round out the rear end.

I am currently gathering parts to jolt it. Unlike the other Volkswagens posted, you will not see any of the ignition parts in the car. The trigger wheel will be attached to the back of the crank pulley and the VR sensor will be mounted to the block out of sight behind the tin. The coil, EDIS, controller and vacuum can will all be mounted under the body between the fender well and transmission.

http://57bugbuild.blogspot.com/ - This is a blog I have kept of the entire build process. I will of course include pictures as the engine starts to come together.
Attachments
56 VW Bug
56 VW Bug
IMG_1573.JPG (205.87 KiB) Viewed 22771 times
56 VW Bug
56 VW Bug
IMG_1585.JPG (205.12 KiB) Viewed 22771 times

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

From the blog and the pictures, your car looks really nice! good job!
Mathieu

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing! Kind of wish the Megajolt was out in view, however ;)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jestes

Post by jestes »

brentp wrote:Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing! Kind of wish the Megajolt was out in view, however ;)
Thanks. I could possibly be talked into putting a sticker on each quarter window. But I am shooting for a very clean engine compartment. I'll be eliminating all the fuel lines as well.

Any chance I can get my hands on an MJ2 in the next couple months? With the controller under the car, I would love to use Blue Tooth to get at it. I'm also really interested in the Android app in case that project is still going.

thesameguy

Post by thesameguy »

Absolutely gorgeous bug!

I too would love some love for Android... Android tablets are very inexpensive, and old Android phones are virtually free these days. Plus there is a company in the UK called "Zada Tech" that sells a "controller" that puts gauge displays on an Android device:

http://www.zada-tech.com/product/single ... sed-gauges

It would be great to stick an old Dell Streak or similar ~5" Android device somewhere in my old car that could "do it all" and keep the cabin clean.

jestes

Post by jestes »

thesameguy wrote:Absolutely gorgeous bug!

I too would love some love for Android... Android tablets are very inexpensive, and old Android phones are virtually free these days. Plus there is a company in the UK called "Zada Tech" that sells a "controller" that puts gauge displays on an Android device:

http://www.zada-tech.com/product/single ... sed-gauges

It would be great to stick an old Dell Streak or similar ~5" Android device somewhere in my old car that could "do it all" and keep the cabin clean.
Thanks. It is a kick to drive. I get all sorts of thumbs ups, peace since, you name it. I can't wait to get the big motor in it too.

I've built a simulator that will allow me to build apps to control the MJ without having the hardware. So far I have a partially complete windows app that looks very much like Brent’s official app. It allows you to read and write the ignition map as well as flash it to the eprom. I have never built an Android app but if I get time, I may just take a crack at one that will at least display the tach, advance and load gauges. I'll post it in the Announcements section if I ever get anywhere with it.

jestes

Post by jestes »

It runs! I was able to get the engine started on Sunday and have put about 75 miles on it already. I'm still working on getting the carbs dialed in at this point, but it's running pretty well. Once I get a few more miles on it, I'll start to tweak the ignition map. I have spent next to no time on detail work. I plan on pulling the motor this winter to strip and paint or powder coat all the tin. I wanted to get it in the car and running before I worry about how it looks.

As I had planned, the MegaJolt, EDIS and Coil pack are all mounted under the package tray behind the firewall. The trigger wheel and VR sensor are mounted on the back side of the crank pulley, so the only ignition components that are visible in the car are the #2 & #4 spark plug wires where they enter the heads.
Attachments
IMG_4013.JPG
IMG_4013.JPG (161.12 KiB) Viewed 21674 times