Toyota Celica 18R-G

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

msinisal

Toyota Celica 18R-G

Post by msinisal »

MJLJ installed successfully to 1981 Celica 2 litre twincam 18R-G engine with dual 40 DHLA Dellortos. I'm using MAP setup, and after a short test drive the manifold vacuum signal seems to be strong and not fluctuating too much.

No major problems, except tach won't work etc... but thanks to the info on this website, we all know how to fix it :-)

One open question; Should I be able to use my old timing light which I used before with points and dizzy? Actually I tried two of them and either would not flash. I even verified the operation on other car, where they worked ok! Strange...

Paratime

Timing is everything

Post by Paratime »

Some timing lights won't work with one of the two plug wires on a twin coil. Try the other wire, as well as clipping on the pickup forwards, and backwards. I have occasionally needed to partially pull a plug wire off the plug, to make the spark larger. This lets the output voltage rise higher, sometimes required if the timing light pickup is not very sensitive.

Important point! Unless they have a special setting for distributor-less systems, dial-back type timing lights will not show the correct timing if the dial is set to anything other than 0 degrees.

Neil Reid

Post by Neil Reid »

I've just signed up. have a 77 Celica 18r g just fitted mjlj and am quite clueless so far. Have an imported config to get me going. 8)

Cheers
Neil
representing 1stgencelica.com (moderator)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Nice! Let's see some pictures of your car and installation! :D
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Neil Reid

Post by Neil Reid »

brentp wrote:Nice! Let's see some pictures of your car and installation! :D

that's the max of 3 pics The edis and the coil are tucked nicely in the corner at strut tower and firewall. One note, that the coil is an aftermarket version of the Ford. It allows regular size wire boots to be used instead of custom made units with the OE large clip type. Cheap too at $20 (ebay or Amazon). Box is in the glove compartment. Sensor mount is a complete home made oddity that I'll post again. But it works.

Car is an 9 year continuous task that's nearly finished. MJ is working beautifully!!

Cheers
Neil
Attachments
verbrugghe 7.jpg
verbrugghe 7.jpg (160.16 KiB) Viewed 14105 times
verrbrugghe 2017 2.jpg
verrbrugghe 2017 2.jpg (175.41 KiB) Viewed 14105 times
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG (128.66 KiB) Viewed 14105 times

Neil Reid

couple more pics

Post by Neil Reid »

a few more for possible clarity
Attachments
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG (119.83 KiB) Viewed 14103 times
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG (106.27 KiB) Viewed 14103 times
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG (75.28 KiB) Viewed 14103 times