1964 Ford Taunus 12M 1500cc V4

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Taunus 12M

1964 Ford Taunus 12M 1500cc V4

Post by Taunus 12M »

Hello everyone!

First a quick introduction of myself!

My name is Glenn, I live in Belgium and I'm 22 years old.
The car that I am going to Jolt is a Ford Taunus 12M from '64.

Here are some picture's!

The bodywork off the car is still in his original state, even the first paint!
The underside is completely redone, new brakes and brake lines, new shocks, al bushes, etc...

The car started as a 1200cc low compression engine with 45 HP, I have now build a new 1500cc high compression engine with a 28/36 DCD Weber carburetor and electronic ignition, estimated power is around 75 HP but now I wanted to test out the Megajolt for some more horses!
Oldie's:

- Ford Taunus 12M P4 1964
- Ford Taunus Transit FK1250 1962

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

I'm now going to show some picture off the install

I mocking up on the old engine outside the car :wink:

At first I've made a special bolt and spacer to attach the trigger wheel to the pulley

And when placed!

Then I started on a bracket for the VR-sensor

And the final result with the gap between the trigger wheel and sensor, I'm pleased with the result!

Oldie's:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Looks great! super clean install, and thanks for sharing the pictures!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

brentp wrote:Looks great! super clean install, and thanks for sharing the pictures!
Thanks a lot Brent! :D
Oldie's:

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Good to see more Ford V4's are being Megajolted :) . Great spacer you made. Did you use two different bolts that are screwed into the spacer with their respective threads? I had something like that in mind, but as I am lacking a good workshop and can't weld I took a M10x1 bolt, ground down the head and threaded it.

Alex

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

Alex B wrote:Good to see more Ford V4's are being Megajolted :) . Great spacer you made. Did you use two different bolts that are screwed into the spacer with their respective threads? I had something like that in mind, but as I am lacking a good workshop and can't weld I took a M10x1 bolt, ground down the head and threaded it.

Alex
Hey Alex!

already hoped that you would react to the thread! maybe we could help each other out! ;)

I've made it from 2 different sized bolts, grounded down the heads to the same size and then made a spacer to that size. drilled in some holes to the side of the spacer and welded al together trough the holes, also added the shim and welded this on.

have you a custom map made already? or still driving the standard one?
Oldie's:

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Hi Glenn,

Map is in the Library section under Saab Sonett III (not too far down). It works fine, but needs some tweaking at low revs with low load. I noticed that when the engine is warm idle won't drop to 800 rpm, it keeps hunting at ca 1000. Looks like advance is a bit too much there (found this out last summer. The engine was warm and wouldn't slow down. After I stopped it and started after a minute or so it idled at lower revs). The colum at 600rpm might be overdone. I think I will skip the 600rpm column and add one at 1000rpm in order to lessen advance at low load.

At low revs and light load the engine had a bit of a flat spot where it had a hickup when the throttle was opened. I got this pretty much cured by advancing ignition through the load range, so that is why advance is bigger with a bit more load than with throttle at idle; may sound a bit complicated but you'll see what I mean when you open the map.

Alex

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Hi Glenn,

Map is in the Library section under Saab Sonett III (not too far down). It works fine, but needs some tweaking at low revs with low load. I noticed that when the engine is warm idle won't drop to 800 rpm, it keeps hunting at ca 1000. Looks like advance is a bit too much there (found this out last summer. The engine was warm and wouldn't slow down. After I stopped it and started after a minute or so it idled at lower revs). The colum at 600rpm might be overdone. I think I will skip the 600rpm column and add one at 1000rpm in order to lessen advance at low load.

At low revs and light load the engine had a bit of a flat spot where it had a hickup when the throttle was opened. I got this pretty much cured by advancing ignition through the load range, so that is why advance is bigger with a bit more load than with throttle at idle; may sound a bit complicated but you'll see what I mean when you open the map.

Alex

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

A little progress today!

made up a bracket for the coil pack, it also houses a multi connector.
I'm going to use this for connecting the engine harness (EDIS, vr-sensor, coilpack, etc...) to the car harness into the megajolt. this way I can remove the engine and just need to pull the multi connector out and the rest stays with the engine :wink:

some pics

and painted al the bracket's :D

Oldie's:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Love the pictures and the build progress. Shared here on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4953614230

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

Thanks again :D I also shared it! I will try to persuade some off my friends to begin a megajolt project! :D
Oldie's:

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Good job, it looks very good!
Mathieu

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

Again some progress! :D

Today the Taunus fired up with the EDIS module in limp mode!
First impression, much more stable when idling! almost no vibrations!

Can't wait to hook the Megajolt up!! :D

And a quick vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4irwLVmvg
Oldie's:

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

He's a runner!! :D

Yesterday finished the wiring with fuses and relays

Then installed the hard rev limiter

Then plugged in the Megajolt...
And he fired up instantly!! :D I have uploaded the ignition file from AlexB and am very pleased with it!
still some room for improvement on my engine but already a big improvement over a stock dizzy!

I notice more torque in the low and mid range, better throttle response, and much less vibrations in the engine!

I'm convinced!! :D

And a quick drive around :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-r6Q8NjO-0
Oldie's:

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Gefeliciteerd! Een mooie manier om het jaar af te sluiten.
And for those who don't understand Dutch:
Congratulations! A fine way to finish the year.

Alex