1975 Saab 96 on MAP version

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Alex B

1975 Saab 96 on MAP version

Post by Alex B »

Though a far cry from being roadworthy it is officially powered by Megajolt and as the MJ-aspects might be of interest I place it here in the gallery.

Car: Saab 96 from 1975
Engine: 1700cc Ford Cologne V4
Type of Megajolt: MAP

Image[/img]

Picture is from when I moved from the Netherlands to Norway, it's about being loaded into the truck.

I used the car as a test bed for the MJ installation that is now in the Sonett. Last year I started to make repairs under the bonnet in order to get the engine running again. The clutch hydraulics were overhauled, I switched to a Weber 32-36 DGV carb and I installed a Pertronix ignition in the dizzy. Installing the Pertronix was an improvement, but I felt it could be better, so I decided to invest the money I got from Santa Claus in a MJ. I wanted to convert to an electric cooling fan, which required a different setup of the trigger wheel sensor.

Since I don't have a workshop to do things more properly I have to use as much standard materials as possible. The sensor bracket is a good example; simpe but it works.

Image[/img]

The trigger wheel is an different type than used on the Sonett, now it is not needed to source a longer bolt in the not so usual thread M10x1. Good centration was done by a guy at the workshop at work.

Image[/img]

Detail of the sensor installed.

Image[/img]

The adapted front plate (= minus mechanical fan and removed fan bearing) in place.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Alex
Last edited by Alex B on Sat May 31, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

The MJ's Aux Input pin is connected to the standard coolant temp sensor. A diode is used to protect the MJ from the 12 volts that come from the dashboard gauge on the same wire; maybe not needed, but better safe than sorry. The film shows the engine warming up and the impact on the reading of the Aux Input.

http://youtu.be/zfInY9IHUR0

There is polishing to be done, but my first intention was to see if it was possible to use the existing sensor. Next step is to hook up the electric cooling fan.

Alex

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

nice work! Keep the updates coming! ;)
Oldie's:

- Ford Taunus 12M P4 1964
- Ford Taunus Transit FK1250 1962

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

After some tinkering the cooling fan works briliantly :D. In order to get more sense from the Aux Input gauge I inverted the voltage reading, so now it starts at 0 when the enige is cold. A little piece of film to show it (warning up front: put the sound down, the audio recording was horrible :evil: ):

http://youtu.be/_IfKgYiMd7A

The calibration is based on a coolant temp sensor with black insulation. There are versions with other colours which have different capacity.

Alex

Taunus 12M

Post by Taunus 12M »

Nicely done there!! maybe after some time, i also do it whit the Taunus! :)
Oldie's:

- Ford Taunus 12M P4 1964
- Ford Taunus Transit FK1250 1962

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Last week the first short drive on own power in more than 20 years; it was a happy moment :D.

http://youtu.be/u3dNYtB_Pzs

Alex

autoreplica

Post by autoreplica »

Congratulations !!!