TPS wont caliberate?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

so after a lot of messing around, i found that my mj unit had not had the tps part soldered up correctly, this has now been rectified but guess what? tps still will not caliberate! can anybody think of anything? its the only thing left to sort now. please help lol
vw golf 2.0 16v zx9r carbs

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

V3 or V4 unit?

What firmware version?

What Configurator version?

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

sorry its v4 running tps. not to sure on the rest as i bought it second hand but unused, how do i find out?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Since your unit is otherwise working (communicating with the software, etc), Disconnect the TPS from your wiring harness and try the following tests:

- verify you have 5V on your VREF (measure between GND and VREF on the molex pins)
- if so, while the unit is powered up and the config software running and connected:
- wire a jumper between TPS_INPUT and VREF. Does the load gauge in the software change?

If the above tests do not pass, we may have some additional solder joints that require fixing. If you can, post some pictures of the board, front and back, and we'll scrutinize together.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

il give it a go tommorrow brent, just out of curiosity, my tps guage in the software reads 100% all the time is this usual?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The value may be correct, depending on the current calibration.

The value shown on the gauge is a scaled value, determined based on the current calibration. You can verify the current calibration by opening the calibration window, and loading the calibration data. Scan down the voltage<->value mappings in the right hand column.

Whatever value that is shown in the gauge will be found in the list of scaled values, and the corresponding voltage value is what the CPU thinks is on the TPS input line.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Would be worth checking that the TPS voltage is getting all the way to the processor - check (carefully) the voltage on pin 11 of the processor as you depress the throttle

Use a multimeter set to volts, black lead to earth and red lead to pin 11 of the processor. Don't short out any of the pins on the processor with the multimeter probe.

(with the molex connector on the right, the processor is the left hand chip running N-S, pin 11 is the third one up on the right hand side)

You also have a PM...

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

thanks for that martin, i'l get back to you on a bit later about that.

as for the tps..... i have 5 volts coming from my mj unit, and i have 5v going back when bridged. however when i bridge it back to the mj the load guage does not move. i checked the scaled values and there are no entries at present. im assuming that the 5v box needs 100 as its value to read WOT?

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

hi having trouble getting my images on here, there too big and i cant resize them, il keep working on it

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

email them to em and I can re size them. Or go to the MS website and download the power tools package. there is a re sizer in that package that is outstanding.

dsmith(at)radio(dot)fm Or dsmith(at)emotorsports(dot)org

Just keep it under 10 meg per email (total for all the photos sent in each email)
Respectfully

Dean

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

email sent to first adress thanks

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

here you go.. .. no problem!!!!
Attachments
DSC00052.JPG
DSC00052.JPG (31.54 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
DSC00055.JPG
DSC00055.JPG (48.5 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
Respectfully

Dean

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

On R3 (the blue chip resistor) try checking for 5V on either side of the resistor when you have the 5V bridged from VREF to the TPS_INPUT. You should see 5V on both sides. And 5V on pin 11 as Martin suggested.

It's hard to tell in the picture but the bottom solder joint of R3 seems a bit suspicious.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

ok then as suggested i get 5v accross R3 no problem, but at pin-11 i get nothing (220/230mV) so any ideas??? next test? thanks guys

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

So, WITH ALL POWER OFF, is there direct connectivity between the north end of R3 and pin 11 on the processor - use a multimeter on it's connectivity/beep setting...