TPS wont caliberate?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

just checked and there is NO conectivity between the two. gettin somewhere now!
vw golf 2.0 16v zx9r carbs

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

OK.

It looks like it could be the 'via' north of R3 - its a hole in the PCB that should should have a link through to the other side of the board where you will see a trace that goes to pin 11. Best to confirm this in your own mind, to maje sure we're talking about the right pin 11!

With the multimeter directly on either side of the via (i.e either side of the boards), is there connectivity?

How about the north pad of R4 (in the MAP option area) to pin 11? That should have connectivity.

If the via is faulty and the north end of R4 connects to pin 11, then a thin-wire link between the north end of R3 and the empty north pad of R4 should correct the problem...

Martin

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

ok so i had the wrong pin 11, counted 3 down instead of 3 up! but i do have conectivity between R3 north and R4 north as well as the thro hole to pin 11. i'l check for voltage again tomorrow to the correct pin 11 this time. is all is well what will be the problem??

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

breeza18 wrote:is all is well what will be the problem??
Whatever it is, Plan C will fix it. We just have to think up Plan C :D

Make sure you do the pin 11 test with the TPS wired up as normal, not just with Vref bridged to the TPS input.

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

yeah i'l test it tomorrow, then on to plan C!

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

breeza18 wrote:yeah i'l test it tomorrow, then on to plan C!
"Plan C" .. .. . is to convert to MAP. :P
Respectfully

Dean

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

dean, if i have to i will... but i dont want to! anyway good news! now i have the correct pin 11 i have voltage at pin 11 and it increases as the throttle opens to about 4.1v. good news i'm guessing??

breeza18

Post by breeza18 »

PLAN C NOT RQUIRED!!! so after doing the tests discussed earlier i thought to my self i'l try it one more time. so plugged in the laptop and first attempt it caliberated! so problem solved?? its working any way. still no idea why it wouldnt work but now it does? nothin has been changed?

So a big thanks to all the help on this, especially martin and brent. :D

any ideas why its now working?

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Moody Molex plug?

:lol:

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Still a bad connection somewhere that might go bad again?

Try subjecting the PCB to mechanical stress while measuring pin 11 - twisting, bowing etc.

If it's been built badly (you already found one end of all TPS components not soldered at all) then there may still be a bad surface mount solder joint somewhere - they're hard to visually identify sometimes and a stress test will move the PCB away from the component and create an open circuit, this showing the problem.

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

I would just run over the board with an iron. I do this to the DME in the Porsches all the time. Cold or bad solder joints will work for a while but heating and cooling cycles and / or vibration will eventialy cause them to be a problem.
Respectfully

Dean