Pre assembled Molex connector...

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mini1293

Pre assembled Molex connector...

Post by Mini1293 »

As im having trounle getting hold of a decent crimper, and i dont really want to buy one just for a dozen crimps...

is it possible to buy a connector with the tails all crimped in??

cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

A interesting technique is to find an old computer power supply (like an ATX unit), modify the 20 pin connector down to 16 pins, making sure you match up the keyed pins to the MJLJ connector.

However, it's a little time consuming and not ideal, but if you're careful you can manually crimp the connectors with needle nose pliers, and flow a little bit of solder over the wire and connector for extra strength.

For a basic MJLJ setup you only need 4 wires; Power, ground, PIP and SAW, so this shouldn't be too hard to do.

Hope this helps,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Hi thanks for the reply...

Iv thought about just closing them with pliers and soldering, but i really want to do this properly and anf them crimped, so thought i could get a pre assembled one like you supple with the assembled Units??

cheers

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

The assembled units we offer come with the same pin and molex configuration as the kits do. Some of our distributors offer pre-wired connectors as an extra, I think this might be what you're referring to.

In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned about manual crimping, as long as you were careful. As before, you can start with just the minimal 4 connections and then wire in additional circuits (like user outputs, etc) as needed; this makes for a tidy and clean installation.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Oh i see, sorry, i thought you did offer the connected plugs, maybe il look into a distributor of yours.

Iv already got it all wired, and im going to be using more than just the min 4, user output, rev, and map swich etc.

Thanks for your help.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent then! try Trigger Wheels at http://www.trigger-wheels.com - they may be able to help you out.

While the molex is nice yet inexpensive connector, we've recognized over time that they can be tedious to assemble. For this reason our future offerings will use pluggable terminal blocks (as we are using on RaceCapture) which will be much more friendly to the end user.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

I did mine with a small pair of vice grips (the ultimate multi tasker) and the a dab of solder swetted in to the crimp. The harder task is to get the pins in to the connector. I ended up using a very small pair of needle nose pliers and pushed them in with one end of the pliers.
Respectfully

Dean

Mini1293

Post by Mini1293 »

Trigger wheels want £12 for a connector! I dont think so. I think il just bodge my one up :(.

cheers