TPS Help - R1 Carbs

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

orb

TPS Help - R1 Carbs

Post by orb »

Hi there.

I wonder if anyone can help, I am looking to start the set up of my MI16 running Megajolt V3 with a TPS

The carbs used and Yamaha R1 carbs and these come with a TPS mounted.

I wondered if anyone can tell me exactly what pin (there are three) does what and where is needs to be connected up on the MJ/Edis units.

Also, I dont suppose anyone has a spare plug from the Yamaha Loom that I can use for the TPS?

Thanks

Oliver
205 GTi
Stripped & Caged
1.9 MI16 Engine
R1 Bike Carbs
Megajolt

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

A multi-meter is your friend here! A cheapie can be bought in Maplins for just a few Pounds, if you don't have one already (or, if not in the UK, your favourite electrical shop).

Set the meter to measure resistance then put it across a pair of pins and turn the TPS spindle. By trying various pairs you will find one that doesn't change resistance as the spindle turns. These are the fixed ends of the potentiometer, and the remaining pin is the wiper.

Now put one lead on the wiper pin, and the other on one of the fixed end pins. If the resistance starts low and increases as the spindle is turned then you've found the O volts (chassis) fixed pin. If the resistance starts high and decreases, then you've found the 5 volt fixed pin.

Make a note of which pin is what, and the job's done!

Hope that helps,
David

orb

Post by orb »

Thanks david, thats awesome.

I must say I am quite handy with the spanners, infact I am rather better than that, but I HATE electrics! If I am doing a job with any wiring, I will avoid it and pass it on!

So, I do have a multi whatyoumacallit, but it is about 12 miles thick with dust as I dont know how to drive it.

As I am sure you can see, I need a little more hand holding please?

Maybe some drawings in wax crayon??

:)
205 GTi
Stripped & Caged
1.9 MI16 Engine
R1 Bike Carbs
Megajolt

adsport69

have you worked out your TPS Issue?

Post by adsport69 »

Hi there, first time posting but thought I could help you out if you need???

I have a 205 MI16 on R1's and bogg bros manifold sitting outside the back door with a V4, if you still need a hand I could have a look for you (I did the wiring) just can't remeber which way round it is from memory off hand. As for the connector I used a few spare megajolt connector pins then filled the TPS with plastic adhesive to seal it, then used an AMP seal connector on flying leads.
Too many 205 GTI's
Turbo Techics, MI16
205 S16 Turbo Brewing

orb

Post by orb »

adsport, that would be VERY cool if you could get me some further info!

Cheers

ORB
205 GTi
Stripped & Caged
1.9 MI16 Engine
R1 Bike Carbs
Megajolt

adsport69

ORB - I hope this helps you out

Post by adsport69 »

Hi Orb,

I seem to have been having a bit of trouble posting back to you???

Hope the attachment comes through this time.

Left - Connected to ground

Middle - Should go to "TPS INPUT" on the megajolt plug

Right - +5V reference voltage

If you need more help, I'll see what I can do.
Attachments
Throttle Pot Wiring for Yamaha R1
Throttle Pot Wiring for Yamaha R1
R1_POT_WIRING.jpg (160.67 KiB) Viewed 25803 times
Too many 205 GTI's
Turbo Techics, MI16
205 S16 Turbo Brewing

orb

Post by orb »

Thats awesome thanks!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on hols for a week!

When you say the wire goes to Ground, do you mean Megajolt Ground or to the chassis?

Cheers

(I have still not got it all put in the car yet, but intend to have a bash tomorrow)

Do you have your rev counter working? I was informed that I just wired straight into the pin 11 on the EDIS module? Any wisdom here?
205 GTi
Stripped & Caged
1.9 MI16 Engine
R1 Bike Carbs
Megajolt

adsport69

Re: R1 Loom/carbs/TPS help

Post by adsport69 »

Hi there,

Ideally it should be grounded/eathed the same earth point as you earth the megajolt, edis module etc.

Must admit though mine is earthed to the engine, at the same place the chassis is eathed to the engine.

The rev counter has been a tricky one, it hasn't worked in the past but I did some digging on the pug forums and found out I needed to mod the tacho itself, involved taking it out and removing a capacitor and resistor and putting it back, I never tried the tacho out of the EDIS though. Mine is connected to the Tacho out on the Megajolt now and works fine.

I built the VRSSIM circuit up so can test the whole lot without the engine running, it was good to hear the plugs sparking and tacho going up the range.

I have a video on YOUTUBE of the Tacho Working.

Good luck with your install ORB

Adam
Too many 205 GTI's
Turbo Techics, MI16
205 S16 Turbo Brewing

Julian

Post by Julian »

useful thread for me i was having a similar problem!!
on the tacho front i was trying to get my standard vw tach to work on my scirocco (same as a mk1 and 2 golfy)

a mate knows this dude whos an electrical genius, basically i had to fit diodes (one way valves) on the two outter wires to the coilpack.
you can get it to trigger off just one wire but reads half revs obviously, not using the diodes causes it to earth out to each other. not very handy.
so i spliced off the two wires, with diodes then forked into one and to my origianl tacho wire. works great.

should work for most old dizzy ignition systems that earthed.