Error Message on Firmware Upgrade

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Rich in Vancouver

Error Message on Firmware Upgrade

Post by Rich in Vancouver »

I have been trying to upgrade my firmware from 3.0.0 to 3.2.1 and have been getting the following error message.
1/ "waiting for HC08 reset ACK.....received 0xc0<off-key>"
2/ "calibration break pulse sent count: 1"....keeps counting

The computer does communicate with the MJ and I have been able to change and write configurations and flash them to memory but I want to upgrade the firmware to add the "Global controller options" found in 3.2.1
I have tried this on more than one computer and have had the same message with both a standard serial cord and a serial-USB cable.

The MJ is a V3

Thanks,
Rich

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rich,

Firmware blast from the past!

This may be an old problem. Check the MAX232 chip on the board. If it's labeled 'MAX232' there is a known issue around firmware upgrades. You'll need to replace it with a MAX232A chip and then try the firmware upgrade again.

Let us know what you find out.

B
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Hi.

How I can know what is my firmware instaled? I have a V3 board

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

With the configuration software connected to the MJLJ, click "Help / About'. This will query the controller for it's current firmware version.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Rich in Vancouver

Thanks for the lead Brent.
Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been in Vegas spending all my money. :D
I will take the cover off tonight and see what chip lurks inside.
Can the chip simply be pulled or will it be soldered to the board? Also, would
the MAX232A be readily available at computer suppliers (builders) or would it have to come from a specialty electronics outlet?

Thanka again,
Rich

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rich,

It may or may not be soldered down. If you have the incorrect parts, a local, electronics parts house with access to a large selection may stock this part. A regular computer parts stopre would not have it. If RadioShack has stores in your area they *might* be able to special order it.

Let us know when you inspect the insides.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Rich in Vancouver

Brent,
Looks like the chip is soldered in place, which is no problem as I have a techie friend
who can re and re without damaging anything (Unlike me as I have limited soldering skills)
Do you have the upgraded chip available?
I have corrected my map to compensate for my mis-timed trigger wheel so the unit is working in the meantime.
It is actually working VERY well. The idle is smooth and the car (blown 1955 MG-ZA) feels like a modern car when accelerating. I am very happy with the Megajolt.
I may even put one on my daily driver TR7 which has always had a PITA distributor.

Rich

EDIT: Never mind. I just looked at the (very reasonable!) pricing for the Megajolt V4 and have decided I will run with what I have for the summer then switch to the V4 this fall. The V3 unit can go on the TR.
One question...Would the V4 MJ be a plug in installation on my existing V3 harness?

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Rich, not quite a plug-in, but close. The v4 is a 16 pin molex, v3 is a 14 pin. With a molex pin extractor, you should easily be able to transfer your existing harness to the new connector. There are a variety of these tools available, very inexpensive. You could probably use a small aluminum or brass tube of the appropriate inside diameter. Have fun!

Rich in Vancouver

Thanks Danny. If it's just a matter of changing the pin-out that's no problem.
Had the car out for it's first long run (30mi) yesterday and I am happy with the MJ's performance. I have to get the carb and blower
set up then i may have a go at adjusting the map a bit. In the meantime the results are good

Cheers,
Rich

Ethel

Re: Error Message on Firmware Upgrade

Post by Ethel »

I'm getting the same issue as Rich :(

V3 board with ST232ABN serial controller chip
USB/ serial adapter ch340, reads 'n writes under V3.2 just fine

anything else I can try?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ethel,

The 232A chip is the correct unit. You should try upgrading using a PC with a standard serial port.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Ethel

Post by Ethel »

Successfully upgraded firmware to 3.3.0 with a proper cable :)

I can report the same problem with running outputs off Aux - though my aux input has only been my finger so far.

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Ethel wrote:Successfully upgraded firmware to 3.3.0 with a proper cable :)

I can report the same problem with running outputs off Aux - though my aux input has only been my finger so far.
Interresting to note more with the same problems.

How did you use your finger !?!

:?
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !

Ethel

Post by Ethel »

I just noticed it recorded a change on aux input gauge in software when I held the case.

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Ethel wrote:I just noticed it recorded a change on aux input gauge in software when I held the case.
Eh.... how ? Have you wired or in any way connected the aux pin on the processor to an output? Or to the case for that matter ?
Sounds really weird ?
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !