Screened cable ?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

B@man

Screened cable ?

Post by B@man »

Firstly a big thanks to Brent for getting my kit shipped over to the UK so quickly and also for ensuring that there where no charges for the import 8)

Assembly was no problem and I'm now collecting coil packs etc. for the install.

One question, the Crank sensor and EDIS - MJ unit need connecting using some form of screened cable - what is everyone using as I've drawn a blank trying to find 1 pair twisted cable with screen in quantities of less than 500ft, I did find some really nice belden cable but it was £172.00 for 500ft.....

Using audio cable is a possibility but the very thin cross section concerns me that when used in an automotive application the cable will fatigue quickly leaving me stuck at the side of the road !

What's everyone else using ???
If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer
'89 TVR 400SE V8 "Wedge", now Jolted see Powered By !

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/index1.html is your friend...

...or you can go to Maplins and get general-purpose twin-screened cable a bit cheaper. Personally I preferred to use cable that was intended for use under a bonnet! ('hood', for the US of A readers! :D )

B@man

Post by B@man »

Thanks,

I found some heavy duty microphone cable that's really flexible and has nice thick conductors, combined with a the correct strain relief boot It should be OK. I Forgot about trigger wheels.....

Midas

Post by Midas »

B@man wrote:Thanks,

I found some heavy duty microphone cable that's really flexible and has nice thick conductors, combined with a the correct strain relief boot It should be OK. I Forgot about trigger wheels.....
That's basically what I used and it works just fine.

Rich
:wink:

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

what I did with my two installations is spend a little more time at the scrap yard and take the whole section of the EDIS wiring loom. All you need to do then is plug it all into your car , connect the pip and saw wires and the power. Everything is as Ford made it, all screens attached etc.

B@man

Post by B@man »

dave9469 wrote:what I did with my two installations is spend a little more time at the scrap yard and take the whole section of the EDIS wiring loom. All you need to do then is plug it all into your car , connect the pip and saw wires and the power. Everything is as Ford made it, all screens attached etc.
Cheers Dave - Good idea -Unfortunately EDIS-8 modules are a little difficult to come by in the UK so I had to make do with the pigtails it came with, I suspect it would have cost me more than US$20 for the guy to strip out the whole loom :lol:

Interestingly the last car I had used a Dunnel clubman ignition only ECU and it just used a pair of unscreened twisted wires for the CAS and despite running past the coil I never had a problem with it !!

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

B@man wrote:Unfortunately EDIS-8 modules are a little difficult to come by in the UK so I had to make do with the pigtails it came with
The UK EDIS4 loom would still be of use for you with your EDIS8 setup. You can remove the pins from the EDIS4 plug and put them in the corresponding EDIS8 plug location. This will give you the screened cable for the pickup and the screened cable for the PIP & SAW, along with all the screen grounds. The coil output can just be standard wiring.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

EDIS-4 and EDIS-8 use different connectors. Fortunately both modules and connectors or just connectors on their own are available from www.trigger-wheels.com
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

cng1 wrote:EDIS-4 and EDIS-8 use different connectors.
They are different connectors, it's shape, but the pins are the same. I was suggesting you take the pins out of the EDIS4 plug and put them into the EDIS8 plug. This way you nealy have a complete loom with screened cable and grounds etc. You only need to add the cables for coils 3 & 4.

I've attached the two plug connections to make the swap easy.
Attachments
EDIS4 pinout.jpg
EDIS4 pinout.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 9241 times
EDIS8 pinout.jpg
EDIS8 pinout.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 9241 times

B@man

Post by B@man »

Cheers,

Just need to spend a sunny day down the scrapie, need another coil pack anyway so I may as well try to get the wiring as well.