Using MAP sensor on VW aircooled engine

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Desp

Using MAP sensor on VW aircooled engine

Post by Desp »

I've searched the forums but it doesn't appear to work, regardless of the search term nothing is ever found. This question might have been asked before, but where would be a good place to tap my intake manifold to use with the MAP sensor? My 1970 VW engine doesn't have anything for vacuum, so I'm assuming I just need to tap the intake somewhere so I can connect a hose?

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hi Desp and welcome to the forum

I'm not completely clued up on VW air cooled cars i'm afraid. Maybe one of the other guys on here can help aswell. Volksnut has got a VW aircooled, if you don't get anymore luck then drop him a pm.

Did your dizzy previously not have a vacuum advance?? The best place for me would be nearer the carb if you have just one carb and a long manifold branch to each side of the engine. If you can get/find a pic of the intake setup then i maybe able to advise you better unless someone else knows or has experience.

Get some pics of your ride as soon as you get it up and running. Would be nice to see it and your setup when done.

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

volksnut

Post by volksnut »

is it still a single port motor? if so I don't know if they ever had a vacuum take off on the intake, you might look at the semi automatic intake they might have had one, or heck just drill and tap for a barb fitting (remove intake first) anywhere below the carb, if it's a dual port then I know they made a 3/4 side end casting with a vacuum take of, if you can't find one of those then you can tap it too on the 3/4 side, there should be a flat area between the runners to install it.

Desp

Post by Desp »

volksnut wrote:is it still a single port motor? if so I don't know if they ever had a vacuum take off on the intake, you might look at the semi automatic intake they might have had one, or heck just drill and tap for a barb fitting (remove intake first) anywhere below the carb, if it's a dual port then I know they made a 3/4 side end casting with a vacuum take of, if you can't find one of those then you can tap it too on the 3/4 side, there should be a flat area between the runners to install it.
I currently have a single port which I'm replacing with dual port heads, and it's going to have dual webers. I have no problem modifying the intake with a barb, I just wanted to make sure that was the correct procedure. With dual carbs do I need to tape off both intakes and run it into a collector, or will one side be Ok?

Desp

Post by Desp »

NITROPIXIE wrote:Hi Desp and welcome to the forum

I'm not completely clued up on VW air cooled cars i'm afraid. Maybe one of the other guys on here can help aswell. Volksnut has got a VW aircooled, if you don't get anymore luck then drop him a pm.

Did your dizzy previously not have a vacuum advance?? The best place for me would be nearer the carb if you have just one carb and a long manifold branch to each side of the engine. If you can get/find a pic of the intake setup then i maybe able to advise you better unless someone else knows or has experience.

Get some pics of your ride as soon as you get it up and running. Would be nice to see it and your setup when done.

Ryan
Hey Nitro, thanks for the response. The attached file is the type of intakes I'll be running, it'll have dual carbs. I believe most people that use these type of carbs use a mechanical advance distributor instead of a vacuum advance.
Attachments
2828273.jpg
2828273.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 7063 times

volksnut

Post by volksnut »

check out my post "another small step for man kind" in powered by MJLJ I tapped all 4

Desp

Post by Desp »

volksnut wrote:check out my post "another small step for man kind" in powered by MJLJ I tapped all 4
Cool, I read the whole post. How's it working for you, and what type of fittings did you use? Do you think using MAP on these is better than TPS?

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

volksnut

Post by volksnut »

All is well and runs great....I went with the MAP because I'm going turbo soon, check this link http://www.autosportlabs.net/index.php? ... MAP_or_TPS check it out