Refuses to start & No wasted spark any more

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

robert verhey

Refuses to start & No wasted spark any more

Post by robert verhey »

Hi,

I have installed the Megajolt on my Willys Jeep M38A1, and has been functioning very well, untill recently. I can't get it started. The last time it ran, it ran on 2 cylinders, before that pretty smoothly on three, and during summer an all four w/o a problem. Now it refuses to start at all.

I have taken out the sparkplugs and mounted them to a strip and grounded them. Just to see them spark when cranking the engine. It very much looks like it does not act as a wasted spark any more, I saw one spark plug firing at the time, not two simultaneously. They spark all four, but individually. What can cause that? What to do?

Best regards,
Robert Verhey

cng1

Post by cng1 »

When we talk about wasted spark the spark energy isn't actually wasted. The spark energy goes through to the cylinder that the spark finds it easiest to fire in, which is in the one that has the fuel in it - the opposing "wasted" cylinder is on the exhaust stroke so presents a greater resistance to the spark so doesn't get the energy.

What this means is that with the plugs out all the plugs present roughly the same resistance to spark, so which of the two plugs gets the spark is pretty much random. So don't worry, what you are seeing is perfectly normal.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hi Robert

What spark plugs are you running on??

How old are the ignition components (coil pack, leads and plugs)?

How have you wired up the coil pack? as you say one spark plugs sparks all the time could be a sign your coil pack is wired up wrong, but then it wouldn't run smoothly at all and pop all the time. I actually blew a back box to pieces because of this.

Are you using shielded wires at all for the PIP, SAW and VR sensor?

Any chance of getting some pics up of your jeep for the forum? The next door neighbour at my dads place has a bright red Willy's Jeep and I have had a ride in it but it certainly didn't like going in a straight line, lol.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available