new advent palm top not showing MJL status

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

gt6boy

new advent palm top not showing MJL status

Post by gt6boy »

Hi guys
Only just got the car back on the road after cylinder head trouble last year. In the meantime, my old laptop turned its toes up.
So, got the car running and loaded the version 3.0.0 software onto the palmtop, but its doesn't show the realtime info(MAP/ignition advance/RPM) and you can't adjust the RPM bins. BUT clicking the Get Ignition Configuration icon takes me to te correct destination folder and allows the selection of a different ignition map and clicking Write Ignition configuration, forces this other map into use, as the engine revs change to suit. Again, however, there is no realtime info displayed on the main screen Runtime gauges? :?

I wonder if this is a comms issue with the serial lead converter(although that worked perfectly well with the old laptop and the driver appears to be loaded correctly?) or is it that my new 'fancy-dan' Advent palmtop thingie runs Windows 7, which MS delight in telling me is unofficial, when i know for certain its legit and they wont have it!!!!! :roll:

Hoping someone can save me from despair.
Regards
Bruce.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce,

When connected to your controller- and you're trying to see the real-time data, what messages are you seeing in the bottom of the configuration software? any error messages- like "could not open port", "timeout reading..."

Since you're trying to get it working again on this computer for the first time in a while, make sure too that you have the correct COM port configured for your USB-Serial adapter and the configuration software. You can check windows "Device Manager" for the current COM port setting.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

Hi Brent
I did look at the time, but couldn't see any error messages evident, such as you suggested. I made a point of ensuring I had configured the com port to the appropriate USB port, but i did switch the USB lead to another port just to double check my fumblings. As you say, the Device manager appeared to confim I had configured the correct port- and i'd selected 6 cylinders too :lol: !
My colleague at work is under the impression its the new palmtop Windows 7 communicating at too fast a Baud rate with the older technology MJ equipment? :?
Regards
Bruce.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce,

It would not have anything to do with Windows7. So are you saying that you can read and write ignition maps, but not see the runtime engine data while the engine is running?

Try this:

- Power up the Megajolt
- Run the laptop software
- Read the ignition config. from the controller
- Make a change in the map
- Write the ignition config.
- Flash the Ignition config. (so it stays in the controller's "Flash" memory)
- Power down the Megajolt, then power it back up.
- Re-read the ignition config. Were your changes retained?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

Hi Brent
I had another look today. This is the what was displayed on the MJ software.
Engine running at idle: Turn on MJ software on connected laptop.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello Bruce,

Did you mean to post a screenshot of the software?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

Hi Brent
My pc powered down mid posting for the last one!
Well, today I loaded everything up onto an older laptop (including the driver software for the USB/serial lead). Initially, it wouldn't work, although I was getting more access.
But then God was in his heaven and smiling down benevolently on me and it started to work and has been great fun all afternoon!!!!! :D

Thanks for all your help Brent- it is so groovy to just be able to alter the ignition timing at the press of a button 8).

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Fantastic! Thank you for persevering- and enjoy :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter