VR Senser position and Trigger Wheel

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

magicecu

VR Senser position and Trigger Wheel

Post by magicecu »

Should i align my sensor at the manufactrers 90 degree BTDC crankshaft pulley mark which is situated at 90% from TDC going anti clockwise or 10% clockwise of 100% of curcumference of the crank pulley. This would mean my gap would pass the senser 5 teeth when crank reached TDC. Gap to pass senser 90% before crank reaching TDC. Or should i go by the Trigger wheel timing marks? :shock:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

I'm confused :shock:

Any chance of a diagram so i can understand what you are trying to achieve a little better please??
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

magicecu

Post by magicecu »

Heres a quick diagram of pulley with the timing marks which are located on the camshaft cover. I have one groove on the pulley representing timing mark.
Attachments
crank pulley timing marks.pdf
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 474 times

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

The easiest way I've found is:
Mount the sensor as it will mounted be when the car's complete.
Turn the engine to TDC as precisely as possible.
Offer up the trigger wheel with the centre of the missing tooth aligned with the centre of the sensor.
Rotate the trigger wheel 90 degrees (or nine teeth, the teeth being 10° apart) in the same direction as the engine's rotation.
Secure the trigger wheel in this position.

Note that the manufacturer's marks will be intended for setting up a distributor ignition of their own design, NOT Ford's EDIS system.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

You have placed the "90 deg before tdc" in the 90 degrees after tdc position. BTDC would be before the timing marks as that is advance if you get my meaning.

What Gilesy has said would be the preferred method i would use. :D
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

magicecu

Post by magicecu »

The information i have given about 90 degrees BTDC is straight from a Haynes manual but could be typing error. Yes i think it is what Gilesy998 says mine seemed to work better there. Anyway i have found out that my vr sensor does not give a 2.5 ac volt reading when on cranking, both leads showed 1.5 dc volts at ESDI4 pins 5 and 6. Have got new sensor so going to rewire.