Another connection problem

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Ok well iv been trying for hours to try and get megajolt to communicate with my laptop iv using this USB converter http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0511617237 which when searching the forum is the one people suggested.

So now iv installed all the software for the USB adapter and the LED is flashing so im guessing thats working.

When i plug megajolt into the USB converter and try and get it to communicate with my laptop im just getting "Timeout reading cylinder count" but on the bottom on the left its saying "Ignition Config 1 active"...

Any help to get them to start talking would be much appreciated, i just want to get my mini running not and im seriously considering taking the megajolt off and converting back to distributor.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Please don't convert back to dizzy, the pros are definately worth the hassle of getting it setup initially. And once it is all setup and running its really easy alter the maps as you so wish.

Have you tried hooking up the megajolt to a computer which does have a dedicated serial port, most desktop computers do??

How has anyone else got experience with this serial adaptor they can shed some light on???
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Thanks for getting back to me

Yes iv tried connecting it to my PC through the 9pin plug, but i still got the same results unfortunately.

Any help really would be great as iv now ordered a new distributor so i can atleast get the car running whilst im having this silly problem.

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Well iv just been having a go at trying to connect through my main PC using the 9pin plug, and its not even coming up with a COM port...

anyone got any ideas?

Iv done the voltage check on my unit and they all come through at 4.99v and one of them comes through at 10v i think.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Tom,

Sorry your're having so many problems! In our installation guide we have a section about setting the serial port. In that section we show how to check Device Manager for what ports you have installed on your system.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... erial_Port

What does your Device Manager show for installed COM ports?

Also, do you have the the whole system running on your engine? If so, you should be able to verify the MJLJ is 'alive' and working by monitoring timing using a timing light.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

With the USB convertor cable plugged in i get a new port appear, but without meagjolt connected to the USB cable, but with the USB cable still connected the post still is there, so that doesnt really prove much.

When i tried connecting the 9 pin plug directly into the there was no new ports appearing...

Yes the engine will run on EDIS4 at the moment, so does meegajolt have a built in map then? What difference in timing should i expect to see?

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

The EDIS will run with a limp mode 10 degrees advance, without help from the MJLJ. Anything more complex must be stored & executed at the MJLJ. Bruce Roe

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

Ok well iv just come in from checking to see if the timing changed with megajolt unit, so i first ran the engine an checked the timing with a strobe and it showed 10* throughout the rev range, i then plugged in my megajolt unit (LED lights up) and did the same test with the strobe, but the results were exactly the same (10* throughout the rev range)

So i guess this means my megajolt unit is broken :(

I did do the voltage check and as said im getting 4.99v on all the take offs apart from one wich gave alot highter around 10v...

None of the chips look burnt out or anything. Is there anyone in UK i would be able to send my unit to that will be able to test it and find why its not working?

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

If your Desktop PC Com port is not showing up in the windows device manager, it is quite likely disabled in the BIOS.

A lot of PC's come like that these days (many dont even have a COM port connector fitted as standard, its an add-on cable). If you know how to get into your systems BIOS, then look under the "Integrated Peripherals" section and make sure it is assigned an address/Interrupt (usually Com1/Com2 3F8/2F8 or similair). If you arent sure about how to do this, find a friendly computer guru and get them to do it for you, takes about 10 seconds.

Once you have your desktops PC com port running, you will have a much greater chance of getting communications successfully..

Laptop USB->Com converters are nearly always the cause of the no comms problem - my experience with many different USB-RS232 converters is that about 60% of them have problems communicating with one device or another.. Most of the commonly available ones are cheap rubbish that shouldnt even be on the shelves. One manufacturer of Fuel Injection systems got so sick of it, that they refused to offer any support unless you were using a USB/RS232 convertor bought from them.

If you let us know what area you are in, another friendly Megajolt owner might be willing for you to pop past and get yours checked with a known good Laptop/Converter combination.

Tomf

Post by Tomf »

I would just like to thanks NITROPIXIE for sorting this out for me, i send my megajolt unit out to him and he managed to find out what was wrong with it, cleaned the solders up added some new wires for the hard rev-limiter, etc...

I really appreciate the help.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks Ryan (NITROPIXIE) :D
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter