Spark plug wiring for a Rover V8

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Cheapsnake

Spark plug wiring for a Rover V8

Post by Cheapsnake »

I've got the entire EDIS/MJLJ system installed and wired and only have to hook up the spark plug wires to complete the installation. Piece of cake, right? I'm stumped. I'm probably overcomplicating things but to help me visualize the proper orientation of the plug wires to the coil packs I drafted the following, where I show the Ford firing order (in green) that the coil packs were designed for and the corresponding Rover firing order (in red).

Hopefully, this makes sense to somebody other than the idiot that drew it and can confirm or deny its validity. Thanks!

Tom
Attachments
EDIS.jpg
EDIS.jpg (54.12 KiB) Viewed 17648 times

alhbln

Post by alhbln »

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

Cheapsnake

Post by Cheapsnake »

I think this sequence actually agrees with mine, with one minor(?) difference. Where this sequence keeps the plug wires in a straight row going across the coils, my diagram has them taking a slightly different route (following the coil's cylinder numbering). Other than that difference, both arrangements have the plug wires following the ABCD coil sequence and I'm assuming both coils in a vertical stack fire together anyway. So why should it matter?. With that in mind, you could arrange the wires any way you like as long as you maintain the firing order in the the ABCD coil sequencing. Right?

Tom
Attachments
EDIS2.jpg
EDIS2.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 17621 times

BRUCEROE

Rover

Post by BRUCEROE »

I'd just wire coil A to plugs 1 & 6, coil B to plugs 8 & 5, coil C to plugs 4 & 7, coil D to plugs 3 & 2. Primary of coil A to EDIS8 pin 8, primary of coil B to EDIS8 pin 9, primary of coil C to EDIS8 pin 11, primary of coil D to EDIS8 pin 12. Bruce Roe

BRUCEROE

Wire layout

Post by BRUCEROE »

I just take a view of the engine, and draw lines between cylinders that will be on the same coil. The lines will make it obvious how the coils can be placed to minimize lengths. Put a coil pack where 2 lines cross. And any coil can be "COIL A", etc, as long as the right 3 primary & secondary wires connect to it. Bruce Roe

britlude

Post by britlude »

basically start at coil a, cylinder 1,
then go from there, b to cyl 8,
c to cyl 4,
then d to cyl 3,

then back to coil a for 6,
b for cyl 5
c for cyl 7
and finally coil d to cyl 2

the good thing with a rover v8, and most v8's is that each coil (a, b, c, d) feeds an even cylinder and an odd cylinder, and it doesn't matter to the coilpack which side of the coil feeds what plug in the pair

eg. coil 'a' feeds cylinders 1 and 6.............. or 6 and 1

so with a little planning, and arranging the leads appropriately, you don't need to cross any wired at the coilpacks..

as i did on my dad's jensen (ok, it's a chrysler v8, but the principle is the same!)

1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj

Cheapsnake

Post by Cheapsnake »

MUCH clearer now. Part of my confusion comes from the fact that the only way to ID the coils (ABCD) is by the EDIS module pin that serves it. Once that's done it's no problem. I got hung up on the cylinder markings on the coils, which mean nothing if the coils are switched around. Thanks guys, I'm on my way.

Tom

BRUCEROE

Jensen IGN Layout

Post by BRUCEROE »

That 440 is an excellent example, of how the wires & coil packs should be arranged. Bruce Roe

Cheapsnake

Re: Jensen IGN Layout

Post by Cheapsnake »

BRUCEROE wrote:That 440 is an excellent example, of how the wires & coil packs should be arranged. Bruce Roe
Very nicely done. That thing's gonna fly!

britlude

Post by britlude »

oh it does, the throttle blips like a race car!!!!
1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj

crossflow

Post by crossflow »

Hi,

here is a picture with my installation.
Rover V 8 3.5 in a Triumph TR 7.
I swapped the HT cables until it locked tidy.
As said before, you can swap cables on EACH coil,
not between the coils.

Cornelius
Attachments
IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg (108.46 KiB) Viewed 13731 times