KOHLER 20 HP ODD FIRE TWIN

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

BRUCEROE

KOHLER 20 HP ODD FIRE TWIN

Post by BRUCEROE »

Ok, its running & partially tuned. Already there is a big difference in performance, from the old fixed advance to an optimized spark advance. 100 hours a year running this engine, and 22 degree fixed ignition just wasn't doing it. The odd fire twin is running an MJLJ-V4 and an EDIS setup, but only one coil pack. More pictures & description are on PHOTOBUCKET in album CrankTriggerIgn. I attached pictures of the MANUAL ADVANCE KNOB, my trigger wheel emulator circuit, and the ignition system. Just by increasing advance, idle went from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm. Top speed went from 3700 rpm to 4000 rpm, despite the governor. Later, I expect to get 5 acres mowed without running out of gas. Bruce Roe

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on an Album
click on a picture to enlarge, or
click on "view as a slide show"
Attachments
KNOBlr18.jpg
KNOBlr18.jpg (146.29 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
EDISlr17.jpg
EDISlr17.jpg (189.65 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
EMlr25.jpg
EMlr25.jpg (160.56 KiB) Viewed 5718 times

BRUCEROE

New Performance

Post by BRUCEROE »

Here is an update on the tractor performance, after about 5 hours operation. It starts better (cranking retard), and accelerates better. I'm seeing another 200 rpm in many situations, with no governor mods. It no longer tends to stall when losing a lot of rpm on the really tough grass. Instead of running out of gas, I finish the 4 acres with the gauge still well in the green (HURRAY!). Instead of always pushing the tractor, I find myself holding it back. While peak power may be the same, midrange is so much better. With the EDIS firing one plug instead of 2 in series, a plug gap of .04" instead of .03" stock might benefit. Bruce Roe

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update, Bruce!

I have your notes about the software bugs- also thank you. I'll be incorporating any necessary fixes into a follow-up version of the config software.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter