Massive problem! Coilpack / EDIS?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

miniJJ

Massive problem! Coilpack / EDIS?

Post by miniJJ »

Hi,

My megajolt's been running great since January, all of a sudden this has started happening, the car is complely undrivable!

Checked and fuelling isn't the issue. I disconnected the MJ and let it run in limp home mode, and it still does it, as you can see the severity is intermittent. I made sure my VR sensor and trigger wheel are securly mounted and they are not vibrating throught he rev range. Also, the coil and edis are still getting power whilst this happens. I think this is a coilpack or edis issue. Could it also be HT leads?

Like I said, this just suddenly happened after months of trouble free running, I believe the coilpack or edis is to blame, which do you think is the culprit?

What do you think? Please help as my car is just about to be insured and driven for the first time!

Thanks in advance, JJ
on a mini adventure...

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hi jj

Not seen this too much myself but it does look electrical.

Do you have a timing light to hand?? Can you aim it at the trigger wheel/timing marks with the mjlj disconnected and confirm the timing is at a rock steady 10 degrees advance.

Otherwise i think it may be a loose connection or possibly really bad interference from somewhere or possibly a really loose triggerwheel.

Any chance of getting some more info about you setup?? possibly pics of relevant parts.

Can you measure voltage at the coil pack with the engine running on an AC setting. It should be constant, if it varies it could signify a loose connection.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

sunray

Post by sunray »

Has the diode trick been done with the two diodes and the zener diode to make your tach work? Is it possible that some of the voltage between the two coils is making is past the bias of the diodes?

miniJJ

Post by miniJJ »

Hi,

My trigger wheel is welded to my pulley and nicely balanced, so it's not moving. Mr sensor bracket is nice and sturdy. Like I say, the setup has worked fine since January so I think it's an electrical issue.

The rev counter is reading correctly, ruinning off the MJ tach out pin. (the rev copunter was from a ECU'd injection mini)

I have a timing light but no idea how to use it, I'll have a look later. I measured the voltage going to the coil and edis and it was 13 / 14v with the engine running.

I found a similar issue on here and it was said to be a coil failure, it was arcing inside. I need to get the parts today for it, so I need to know what I need to fix it.

Thanks, JJ
on a mini adventure...

miniJJ

Post by miniJJ »

Sorted, combination of faulty ht lead(s?) causing the misfire and the vr sensor appeared to have moved out about a mm further out from the trigger wheel, causing hesitation on acceleration.

Thanks, JJ :)
on a mini adventure...

rich_2137

Post by rich_2137 »

Hi there

i have the same rev counter as you how did you wire it up to work as mine just sits there!