Map conversion: TPS --> MAP? And MAP load bins?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Dominik

Map conversion: TPS --> MAP? And MAP load bins?

Post by Dominik »

Hello everybody,

introductory I have to admit, that I am a total newbie in the field of Megajolt and my engine is not yet working with the ignition (but hopefully this evening it will :D ).

I own a Ford crossflow engine which is fitted to a Super Seven style kit car. Unfortunately I only found one map which is designed for MAP-sensor, the others are for TPS. Therefore I have got some questions regarding the differences:

1. If I understand correctly, the load bins represent the concrete manifold pressure. Thus for a naturally aspired engine the maximum pressure would be atmospheric pressure (around 102kPa). So why have most maps for NA-engines load bins up to over 200? Could you please explain this?

2. I'd like to convert some TPS maps to MAP. Is this possible just by changing the load bins from 0-100% to ~20-120kPa? Or isn't the throttle angle directly proportional to the manifold pressure? Do you have some hints for me?

Greetings from germany,
Dominik.

P.S.: Any grammar and spelling faults are made with intend and just for your amusement! ;-)

BRUCEROE

TPS to MAP

Post by BRUCEROE »

A MAP is better if your setup can use it. The engine torque is pretty much proportional to Manifold Absolute Pressure. But Throttle Position has a very poor relation to torque. First the restriction isn't a linear relation. Then, it only takes a little throttle for max torque at low rpm, but max throttle is needed at max rpm. So that is an additional non linear factor. Bottom line, the tables are going to be pretty much reworked when converting to MAP. Bruce Roe