Timing way out

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mr_force

Timing way out

Post by mr_force »

Hi there, I have a problem that I have no idea how to fix, I have been chasing this issue for the last three weeks now but cant seem to figure it out. I have a Zetec with dual DCOE weber carbs. I am running the VR sensor off of the flywheel. My problem is that every time I want to crank it over I get spark out of order, Example when the valves are open it fires. It is not the engine timing because I have gone over that about a million times and it is perfect. You cant actually mess it up, a monkey can do it. I have narrowed it down to the VR sensor being off by 180 degrees, but I don't know how that is possible. Can anybody please help me with this problem.

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

Are you running an EDIS4? Can you show a picture of the relation of the VR to the trigger wheel when cylinder 1 is at TDC? Bruce Roe

mr_force

Post by mr_force »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am running a MJLJ with the EDIS4 unit.
Attachments
sensor
sensor
photo.JPG (186.21 KiB) Viewed 7151 times

cng1

Post by cng1 »

If it is off by 180 degrees then swap the leads over for the two halves of the coil pack. So take off the leads for 1+4 and put them where 2+3 were and put 2+3 where 1+4 were.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

Do you have a 36 - 1 tooth trigger wheel pattern for the VR? The only thing visible in the picture is starter gear teeth. Bruce Roe

cng1

Post by cng1 »

On the zetec engines the trigger pattern is drilled into the back side of the flywheel.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

Can't see the trigger wheel setup, is this a factory thing? The phasing appears OK, the "double hole" is where the missing tooth is? The wiring checks, reasonable VR gap with wires shielded & not reversed? I'd take the plugs out but wires still connected, wire the bases to ground. Unplug the MJLJ so that the EDIS4 is in limp mode, put a timing light on "1". Spinning it with the starter ought to give a solid spark triggering consistently at 10 degrees before TDC. Time all 4 cylinders, a temporary timing mark can be painted on the back side for 2 & 3. If the spark is solid but in the wrong place, check the VR and missing tooth relation, and possibly the EDIS4. If the spark is erratic, check for bad parts, loose wires, or weak power source. Bruce Roe

cng1

Post by cng1 »

www.trigger-wheels.com