EDIS 6 New coil type

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

lars

EDIS 6 New coil type

Post by lars »

Hi there
Just assembled my megajolt assembly kit with rew limiter, and everything works :D ¨

But... i have the "new" type of 6 coil
labeled Motocraft ee03a 1f2u-12029-ac
taken from at mondeo v6 engine
and is the wiring the same on this type

and the firing order is not the same.... is there anyone who has he same type and can tll we how to intall the cable
my car is an renault alpine 310 with a PRV V6 engine
firing order is 163254

Hope to hear from someone soon
regards Lars from Denmark
Attachments
6coil (Medium).JPG
6coil (Medium).JPG (51.05 KiB) Viewed 11607 times

lars

Post by lars »

anyone who can describe on how to test it my self, the i can post on how the firing order is

BRUCEROE

TRACING COIL PACK

Post by BRUCEROE »

Assuming that unit is just coils, no transistor drivers. You can find the pairs of secondary outputs (to each coil) with an ohm meter. They might measure 500 ohms, usually they are directly across from each other. The primary should be 3 coil wires to drivers, and a common 12 volt pin. An ohm meter might show 3 ohms from each coil wire to the 12 volt common. Then between different coil wires will measure double that, 6 ohms in this case.

Now all you need is matching the input pin to the output pair. You might connect 2 plugs to each coil, with the cases of all wired together. Quickly connect 12 volts to the 12 volt common input & a coil primary, and immediately disconnect. Note which 2 plugs show a spark, this pairs primary to secondary of a coil. Another way to do it, is connect about 1 volt AC 60 hz to a coil, and see which pair of secondary outputs shows something like 150 volts AC. One way to get 1 volt is taking a couple 120 volt to 12 volt transformers. Use the first to reduce 120 volt line voltage to 12 volts. Connect the second trans 120 volt input to the first 12 volt, and the second output will be about 1.2 volts.

The coils are interchangeable, depending on wiring. I'd draw a picture with a line between each 2 cylinders which reach TDC at the same time. That ought to be 1 & 2, 6 & 5, 3 & 4. See which coil output pair best lines up each cylinder pair. Wire a coil to 1 & 2 plugs, connect the coils' primary input to the first EDIS6 driver. Wire a coil to 6 & 5 plugs, connect the coils' primary input to the second EDIS6 driver. Wire a coil to 3 & 4 plugs, connect the coils' primary input to the third EDIS6 driver. Bruce Roe

lars

Post by lars »

Thank for responce
I did some research my self on the internet, and found out that
coil set A is 5-1
and coil set B is 3-4
and coil set C is 2-6
and EDIS6 firing order is A-C-B
my engine firing order is 163524
i should connect the plugs to 5-2-3-1-6-4

but to be sure ill better use my ohm meter :)

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

OK. First time you said your firing order was 163254, not 163524. Bruce Roe

lars

Post by lars »

sorry its 163524

but again its how the Coil is firing i am interested in. the rest is just wiring :)

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

How do you mean lars??

As in how the magnetic fields within the coil generate a spark or how the wires within the coil are connected up. If its the latter then you should have a look at this if you haven't already. http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=2552 It should be noted that the coils between the HT and LT side of the coil are not connected to one another and so cannot be tested with an ohm meter, but could be tested using a 12v battery, some spark plugs and just the coil, by connecting and disconnecting the coil from the battery you could ascertain a spark from a chosen coil input if that makes sense.

If you want the theory on how a coil generates a spark then i can help a bit.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

lars

Post by lars »

As you can see on the picture the printout form the link is under the coil :)

but i am not sure the "new" type coil has the same firing order as the old one, but i cant see why it shouldnt.

but on the page where i found the the firing order it dont seem the same.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Hmmm, then maybe using some chalk on your crankshaft pulley/damper mark where TDC is (roughly) for each of the pairs of cylinders (numbering the chalk marks or colour). With the spark plugs out of the engine but still touching the block and using a timing light you could workout which spark plugs go where. Its a bit long winded but will give you piece of mind if done methodically.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available